Lopsided worry...

Options
So I noticed that both of my dog's right feet have shorter claws than their left feet, and it occurred to me that this is because we always walk facing traffic (on the left side of the road). I live in a rural area, and all of the roads slope away from the center for drainage.

So essentially, I'm walking tons, and nearly every step, my right foot is higher than my left. Is this going to give me back or hip problems or something? Or cause weird musculature?

Is this a real issue? Or just a made-up worry.

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My dog's claws are different lengths on the right and left paws, too, and we walk in all sorts of directions. It's not necessarily because of how you walk.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Perhaps not...but both dogs? Idunno...regardless of the dogs, it's a visible slope, and it's on pretty much every road.
  • BeardedMike
    BeardedMike Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I find this as well on some old roads near my house, or when walking on the beach. I would think if you are constantly doing it on one side only then this may cause a problem over time. I have never done for long periods so I can't really say.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Not sure about dogs, but it can be a real problem for you. I find running on the edge of the road very uncomfortable after a while as one side is working harder than the other. Make sure you stretch out your hips, legs and back after your walk and consider doing some core work to strengthen your hips, abs and butt to minimise/prevent strain.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Perhaps not...but both dogs? Idunno...regardless of the dogs, it's a visible slope, and it's on pretty much every road.

It might cause some sort of a repetitive use injury. Do you have uneven wear on your shoes? It might actually be a blessing in disguise for you if you have a leg length discrepancy, which is actually pretty common.
  • gr8xpectationz
    Options
    Cool. Thanks everybody.

Since I'm rural, I can find places without too much traffic... maybe I'll start walking in the middle of the road where it's flat, at least some of the time. Or off the edge if there's a flat shoulder or something. I'll just try to be more cognizant of it and avoid the slope where possible.
  • gr8xpectationz
    Options

It might cause some sort of a repetitive use injury. Do you have uneven wear on your shoes? It might actually be a blessing in disguise for you if you have a leg length discrepancy, which is actually pretty common.

lol...I never considered that my legs might not be the same length...but you're certainly right that it's possible. My shoes seem to be wearing pretty evenly.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I totally thought this post was going to be about boobies. Imagine my surprise :laugh:
  • gr8xpectationz
    Options
    I totally thought this post was going to be about boobies. Imagine my surprise :laugh:

lol...sorry to disappoint you with my boobular symmetry.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Something you might consider is varying your activity a bit. I know the dog walking is going to happen rain or shine, but perhaps add some strengthening activities, too? Strengthening the lower legs especially will offer some protection against cartilage wear and bone microfractures. Some people can get shin splints (which can be asymmetrical) from walking alone.
  • gr8xpectationz
    Options
    Something you might consider is varying your activity a bit. I know the dog walking is going to happen rain or shine, but perhaps add some strengthening activities, too? Strengthening the lower legs especially will offer some protection against cartilage wear and bone microfractures. Some people can get shin splints (which can be asymmetrical) from walking alone.

Thanks very much for your feedback!