Dumbells feel way heavier than kettle bell?

Options
My 5 lb kettle bell feels so light and airy and my 5 lb dumbell feels heavy??

I am in my very new stages of strength training. I just don't get this. Perhaps I'm imagining this.

Am I straight trippin? Or has anyone else experienced this difference too?

Replies

• Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Do you mean when you're using it, or when you just hold it in your hands? It would be understandable during use, because the kettle bell has more momentum in the way it's used.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Both! Maybe I'm just imagining things but the momentum thing does make sense.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It also depends on the exercises. I see a lot of people swinging the kettlebell with more momentum than strengh. That's important.

Think of it as lifting the dumbell by curling your arms vs lifting a kettlebell with your whole back. That may be where you're feeling the difference.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Weigh them separately on a scale. If you don't have a 5# food scale, do it by deduction on a bathroom scale. There might be a minor difference but I doubt that it would be over 1/4#.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    As stated above, the weights could be slightly off.

What kind of exercises are you doing with the 5lb Kettlebell?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am going to say it is the distribution of the weight and how it is held. I just tried it with my own kettlebell and dumbbell, both 10lbs and the dumbbell felt a bit heavier (I even switched hands), then I did it with my 40lb ones and same thing. My guess is because the kettlebell the weight is below the hand, with the dumbbell with weight is on either side. So that could make a difference in how it feels.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    It's the shape IMO. I was visiting my parents last year and decided to get a workout in my fathers home gym. All he had for DB's was a set of those Bowflex dumbbells and with all the plates loaded they are long and awkward. Definitely felt heavier because of that than the more compact ones I'm used to.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    Options
    5 lbs to me IS super heavy because I'm weak right now and have never in 41 yrs strength trained or worked on muscles. I've been The Cardio type and have great cardio endurance. I am very new to this.The lateral raises were definiteky killer! I have to start somewhere:) i can't even do a girl pushup if that tells you anything.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. If you aren't injured and you can't do the exercise with 5 lbs you probably shouldn't be doing that exercise and you definitely shouldn't be doing it as a beginner. Complex isolation exercises will just have you spinning your wheels.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    Options
    I could do it but it was rough. Have the sore muscles this morning. I CAN do it. No stoppin' me now.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    What program are you doing? Are you doing cardio style work with them? Or are you doing actual lifting/strength training?
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    Options
    I'm doing the actual lifting and strength training. I already do cardio. The things I did yesterday for instance with my dumbells just to give a few examples are lateral raises, shoulder presses, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, tricep extentions, weighted squats, etc. Also wall pushups, planks( can only do 45 seconds), fire hydrants etc. I just pick a YouTube video or a phone app. I need a more organized plan i think. I also did some kettle bell swings. I prefer the dumbells to my kettle bells i think.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    I'm doing the actual lifting and strength training. I already do cardio. The things I did yesterday for instance with my dumbells just to give a few examples are lateral raises, shoulder presses, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, tricep extentions, weighted squats, etc. Also wall pushups, planks( can only do 45 seconds), fire hydrants etc. I just pick a YouTube video or a phone app. I need a more organized plan i think. I also did some kettle bell swings. I prefer the dumbells to my kettle bells i think.

How many reps are you doing? If you can do more than 12 then you can probably increase the weight you use. Otherwise you can stick to it until you progress.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    Options
    With reps, i can do 20 on everything but those lateral raises. I can only do about 10 of those before needing a break. Maybe try 10 lbs in a couple weeks on the others yet keep doing the 5 lbs on the laterals? Til i can get through 1 set of 12 reps?
  • sardelsa
    edited June 2018
    Options
    With reps, i can do 20 on everything but those lateral raises. I can only do about 10 of those before needing a break. Maybe try 10 lbs in a couple weeks on the others yet keep doing the 5 lbs on the laterals? Til i can get through 1 set of 12 reps?

I would follow the link above for a proven progressive
    strength training program if that is something you want. But what you are doing sounds more high rep which is fine but that is probably why using 5lbs feels heavy
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    Options
    Just saw that, will check it out. Thanks everyone for the advice!