How can I add protein to my steel cut oats? (but your favourite recipes are welcomed)

Options
Urban_Princess
Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
I failed horribly this morning by adding 1/2 scoop of my favourite protein powder. Are there any other ways to get protein into my oats (aside from seeds/nuts)??

Also - if you have tried and tested recipes for steel cut oats please share! I'd like to try new things

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Egg whites or eggs mixed in! Super good
  • phillygirl629
    phillygirl629 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like to make my oats savory style (I use rolled, but you could do it with steel cut too). I mix in some plain greek yogurt and sometimes a little cheese. For seasonings I usually add salt and pepper, sometimes sriracha, or an herb if I have it. I particularly like fresh dill. Then I top with a fried egg. They come out very creamy and comforting.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    There's always overnight oats. I don't have recipes that use steel-cut oats (I don't eat them), but I've modified Googled recipes replacing the steel-cut for rolled oats.
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    PB2 -peanut butter powder
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I add unsweetened soy milk, flax seed meal, and chia seed along with walnuts and pecans. Sometimes I will go savory with an egg over easy and crumbled bacon on top.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Toasted nuts on top taste really good. I usually put dried fruit and a little brown sugar in mine. I use my Instant Pot to slow cook them overnight.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i've done peanut butter banana with greek yogurt. i do greek yogurt and fruit. peanut butter and chocolate, peanut butter and honey.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with Greek yogurt or even making them with milk. You may also consider using quinoa in place of oats. It's a bit higher in protein. However, I usually just add protein powder and coconut flakes to mine.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Why does adding protein powder mean you failed?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Eggs and bacon and other stuff you like with those foods (I like putting avocado, tomato, salsa) I use old fashioned oats though not steel cut.
  • sevenswallows
    sevenswallows Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Unflavoured collagen peptides. 9 g a tablespoon and you can't tell they're in there!
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I have this on my list of recipes to try. I would do it in a dutch oven in the oven, not the crock pot, but it would be the same recipe.

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1702176
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Why does adding protein powder mean you failed?

Probably because it was gross.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I eat my regularly-prepared steel cut oats with greek yogurt - no problem
  • vickster18
    vickster18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do an overnight oats with gluten free steel cut oats, unsweetened almond milk, plain Greek yogurt, vanilla-coconut protein powder, chia seeds, hemp hearts and fresh strawberries. Grab and go on my way out the door in the morning
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Do they need to be mixed in? Make your oats the way you like them, then drink the protein shake. If the shake is minimal (protein powder+ skim milk or water) the calorie hit won't be large.

Alternatively, make that "protein cake in a mug" and crumble it over your oats. It's easy: protein powder, baking powder, and enough milk to make a slurry.
  • mjbon99
    mjbon99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add 20g of protein to my oats every morning. You need to make sure its whey protein and not casein. Casein does not mix well
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Pro tip for adding protein powder to oats; add it after it’s cooked. Heated up it has a nasty aftertaste.

I added a hard boiled egg and yogurt to my cooked oats this morning.
  • Muzzoozal
    Muzzoozal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    a 1/2 cup of beans on the side, a boiled egg
  • Mandastein
    Mandastein Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try your favorite protein powder..