Sendentary vs Light Activity

Options
Previously to starting then end of April I was someone active as a tea her now I'm more sedentary but os starting to move more. So I'm confused on what my target calories need to be for the day. There are so many calculators out there. BMR, TDEE, NICE (or something like that). I'm 195 now, 38 yo, 5'9" female Thanks! Currently tlybset at 1500 but last 2 days have been hard to feel energetic and happy. Depression and especially stress are big for me now trying to find a new job. Thank you!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    First make a decision on how you prefer to account for your exercise.
    Either on the day you do your exercise to give you a variable daily calorie goal - then use MyFitnessPal and answer the goal set up questions as accurately as you can. (Note - the activity settings excludes purposeful exercise)

If you prefer to account for your exercise as an average spread over every day then pick a TDEE calculator and answer their goal set up questions as best you can. (Note - the activity setting on a TDEE site includes estimated purposeful exercise.)
    Then set that number manually here as your daily goal.

It's pointless to start comparing the two methods and the numbers they give you, it's more complex than you might imagine to get a true comparison. It's even more pointless to start breaking out BMR as that is done for you whether on here or on a TDEE site.

Whichever method you choose make adjustments based on actual long term results and how easy you are finding it to adhere to your goal.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    If you have a pedometer:

People who take fewer than 5,000 steps are considered to be sedentary or inactive. Those who take 5,000 to 7,499 steps daily have a low active lifestyle. Somewhat active people usually take 7,500 to 9,999 steps per day. People considered to be active take 10,000 or more steps per day.

This is a general rule of thumb that works for most people.