Building up to 5 mile run

Options
Starting the police academy in September and the first day involves a five Mile run outdoors.
I can currently run approximately 2miles before stopping, indoors, on a treadmill.
Any tips to building endurance and transitioning to running outside?
Thank you in advance.

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    There are lots of apps and programs you can use, C25K being a good place to start. That'll get you to about 3.6 miles if I remember my metric to standard conversion right? Then you could just progress form there or start to use the C210K program.

Good luck on the academy!
  • pistolmcclain
    pistolmcclain Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I appreciate your help! Looking forward to the academy, but I know it will certainly test my limits. :)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Start C25K at week 4.

Then you can progress to C210K or another 5/6 mile program. But honestly, if you just stick with the 30-40 minutes you get at the end of C25K, you'll probably be just fine.

But get outside as soon as possible. Mind the weather(you might want to try early morning or late evening)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    But get outside as soon as possible.

This. Definitely this.
  • pistolmcclain
    Options
    Thank you @ Stanmann571. I appreciate your insight! It is hot here in NC, definitely will take your advice on when to run!
  • pistolmcclain
    Options
    @jjpptt2 Thank you! Looking forward to beginning outdoor running!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Oh, and good luck with the academy.

General rule of thumb for any sort of organized training. Don't be the one at the front(or back) of a group run. 4th place is a nice spot to be.
  • pistolmcclain
    Options
    @stanmann571 I will most certainly try my best not to be last, and the should be no problem not being in first lol. Thank you again, any information/ advice is greatly appreciated!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Starting the police academy in September and the first day involves a five Mile run outdoors.
    I can currently run approximately 2miles before stopping, indoors, on a treadmill.
    Any tips to building endurance and transitioning to running t
    Thank you in advance.

I used to live in Salem, VA and started walking / running along the Greenway in Roanoke near the Hospital. Loved it. Agree 100% with "get outside immediately"! I would do my thing early morning or late evening.....was so peaceful!

I would suggest running at the time of day your run will take place. Roanoke would be in the 90's with 95% humidity. That kind of heat will zap you if you are not used to it. Just build up to it!

I started walking 1/10 mile and jogging 1/10 mile. A year later I was running 13 miles. You will get there!
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Here's a super simple couch to 10K. You can almost certainly start a few weeks into it, given your current level. Good Luck!

https://hansons-running.com/pages/couch-potato-to-10k
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    As others say, get outside, running on the treadmill feels easy compared to outdoors so it will take time to build up your stamina.
  • pistolmcclain
    Options
    @LiftHeavyThings27105 I love Roanoke, I'm in the Triad of North Carolina. So we have pretty similar weather. Thank for your input!
  • pistolmcclain
    Options
    @pismodiver Thank you for the link! About to check it out :)
  • pistolmcclain
    Options
    @LivingtheLeanDream you are so right, running outside vs the treadmill is much more intense. Thank you!