Advice on what foods to eat please

Options
Right now, my daily calories are set at 1410, and that leads me to the problem I am currently having.

I have found several great types of low calorie, decently priced meals (a la Smart Ones from Weight Watchers, among a few others), but eating three of them a day leaves me at a deficit of around 500 calories. I don't know what else to eat on a daily basis. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

What usually ends up happening is that I get frustrated that there are not enough options, and then I feel pressured to eat something so I am not way under my daily calories. What I end up finding to eat either gets old after a few days, it is too expensive to include in my diet on a regular basis, or it puts me over my calories completely. I truly would appreciate any comments anyone has! Thank you!!!

Replies

• Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi! People are probably going to throw out the quick/generic... Nuts, avocado, Greek yogurt, chicken breast, eggs, peanut butter, but to get a true sense of what people are eating, look around for people with open food diaries. I know that doesn't give you anything specific, but hopefully it will lead you to it. :happy:
  • greyoutside
    Options
    In the winter, I want to eat everything always, but this time of year I know exactly how you feel. Eat tons of fruit! So good and so good for you :)

And make sure to count all of the calories from whatever coffee / tea / etc. you're drinking!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Fiona, do you cook? You might find if you cook your own food that your diet will be more varied and interesting, your macros will balance out a litte better, and your micros will be vastly improved.

Every once in a while I find myself way under for the day but it happen so rarely that I don't worry about it any more.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Is there any real reason you have to eat 3 of these packaged meals a day? You can more easily reach your goals by making real food yourself and there are a lot more options.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'll second the "learn to cook" comment. it allows you to control your diet while truly enjoying the food that you eat. If you do find yourself with leftover calories at the end of the day, and you have satisfied your nutrition goals, then enjoy a treat. Make life as pleasant as possible for yourself.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Eat anything you like. Learn some basic cooking, buy things to make sandwiches with, have some fruit and yogurt, have cereal and milk for breakfast...you know---real food! The idea of someone eating those crappy frozen meals all the time makes me want to weep. You deserve better than that!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you ate before in smaller quantities. If I had to live on boxed meals 3 meals a day I'd probably just give up. All you have to do is learn to record your calories from real foods and stay in budget. You'll be a lot healthier than living off highly process, sodium laden boxed crap.
  • JannAtBeach
    JannAtBeach Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with the learn to cook theory.... Those frozen meals may be low in calories, but extremely high in sodium & sugar...
    There is a great website that has low calorie recipes called 'Skinny Taste"..
    I would try & eat as many fresh foods as possible....
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Dried figs or other fruit
    Peanut butter and crackers
    Apples, bananas, grapes (buy a small quantity of fruit on your way home each day so it doesn't have time to go bad)
    Cream cheese and graham crackers
    celery filled with peanut butter and some raisins ("ants on a log")
    a beer :D

If you can turn on an oven or stove,
    Greens saute'd with some oil and garlic and pepper
    toast with cheese under the broiler until it gets hot
    rice/grains/noodles with a bit of butter and salt
    scrambled eggs
  • Rebeck725
    Options
    I was having a hard time meeting my daily calorie count, too, because I take meds whose side effects include suppressing my appetite. I've started making a high-protein smoothie in the morning - one banana (frozen is good, but it doesn't have to be), 1 cup other fruit, 1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup skim milk. You can add honey or other sweetener if you want. Sometimes I also put in a tablespoon of ground flax seeds for the Omega 3's. This starts my day off with 350-400 calories - more if I add a bowl of Cheerios or granola.

Like everyone else says, it's better to eat food as close to natural as possible. If you stock up on fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, almonds, peanuts, etc., you'll have something healthy to grab whenever the mood hits.
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I know people are telling you to cook and that the package meals are junk. But you must have a reason and as someone he hates to cook I know that it is daunting. I agree that looking at diaries is one way to go. Here are some simple ways to supplement your meals. Buy prepackaged salads or cut up veggies. Those meals seldom have enough vegetables. Add fruit, a price of whole wheat bread. If you want to venture into cooking, look for super simple things so you don't get frustrated. Make a lot and freeze.I used to eat the meals and was helpful at one time. Now I eat whole foods and no more processed stuff. But it was a process. Do what works for you.
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    500 calories is enough for two "kind" bars and an apple ;) keeps me feeling satisfied throughout the day and I have plenty of energy!
  • fionaface
    fionaface Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Original poster again...I suppose I should add that I don't have to eat the three packaged meals a day. It is just what I have thought about, in combination of what I have done before and what is affordable for me.

I do not have to keep to any set menu all the time. I just want it to be affordable and not impossible to create in somewhat limited time frames. I have no problem cooking, and I would certainly like to take a bigger role in "from scratch" cooking for both my kids and myself.

I thank everyone for their comments so far, and please keep them coming. I read and take into account everything!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Open diary here ... go back a week or two for more variety ... been in a fruit and
    Cottage cheese mood lately ...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    With those meals it is likely that you are protein deficient so I'd add about 1lb of your favourite lean meat.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    how about fruits, veggies, nuts, hummus ect to round things out 500 calories is not hard to eat a handful of nuts is that much.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Original poster again...I suppose I should add that I don't have to eat the three packaged meals a day. It is just what I have thought about, in combination of what I have done before and what is affordable for me.

I do not have to keep to any set menu all the time. I just want it to be affordable and not impossible to create in somewhat limited time frames. I have no problem cooking, and I would certainly like to take a bigger role in "from scratch" cooking for both my kids and myself.

I thank everyone for their comments so far, and please keep them coming. I read and take into account everything!

If you are eating packaged meals, what are your kids eating?
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Easy cooking:

Whole wheat/thin pizza crust with spaghetti sauce, spinach (or tomatoes, mushroom or peppers or whatever you like) and part-skim mozzarella (1-2 cups). Make sure to put cheese over spinach so kids don't see it. You can also add turkey pepperoni! Takes 10-12 minutes.

Turkey burgers (or Turkey sliders!)! (on whole wheat of course!) Use cheese, bacon, peppers, pineapple, whatever. About 10 minutes. Serve with fruit, salad or veggie chips.

19 oz package of frozen cheese tortellini, half package of frozen peas, in 32 oz. (or more) of reduced sodium vegetable broth. Season with Italian herbs (basil, oregano, or to taste) Warm but stop just before boiling. Once cheese tortellini rise to top, it's usually done. Takes about 10-15 minutes and I've served this to guests! And there's leftovers.

Hope this helps.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    it's hard if you don't know how to cook. but you should be able to bake some chicken or grill it, warm some green beans, toss a salad, or have some grapes with it. it's a filling meal to me, and I'm big. also lettuce wraps, there's not much you can't put into a leaf of lettuce. hamburger patty, ground beef with onions and mushrooms, turkey avocado cucumbers and tomato make an awesome wrap.
  • Rebeck725
    Options
    There are a lot of great cookbooks with recipes that take only 20-30 minutes to make. My personal favorite is "Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home." The recipes in that one are all vegetarian, but not vegan, so they include dairy and eggs, as well as beans and tofu, for your protein. There's tons of cookbooks for 20-minute and 30-minute meals; just go to amazon.com and use their search engine. If you're not an experienced cook, throw "simple" into the search, too.

I got one a few years ago called "Cheap. Fast. Good!" that has some great ideas, especially for kids, but is not particularly diet-friendly.