Staying in a hotel for a month. Gym or kitchen?

Options
13»

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Is there a Homewood Suites nearby? Not super posh, but they have nice little kitchenettes (2 burner stove, full-size refrigerator, dishwasher) AND (smallish) gyms! More time to cook and workout if you have a shorter commute!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Team Kitchen if those 2 were the only 2 factors. But I'm all for convenience and after you said the kitchen was further away I became Team Gym.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Let's say you are staying in a hotel room for a month, out of state, away from family and friends (so lots of spare time). Which would you pick, and Airbnb with a kitchen, or a hotel with a gym, microwave and min-fridge?

Kitchen for Sure! I could keep my food in control that way, and with lots of free time I could cook healthy meals. You can always find somewhere to workout, bring some dumbells, go for a run ect...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Hm. Airbnbs are 45 min to 1 hr from work site. Hotels are 30 min. Still might be worth it.

Extended stay hotel with a kitchenette? I'm all about minimizing my commute (says the lady with the 4-minute drive to work)!

I used to have a lengthy commute like yours. Now I commute across the hallway :lol:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the kitchen.

When I used to travel for work and stay in hotels, I rarely used the gym, but I did bring a yoga mat and walked a lot.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    The hotel workout rooms I've seen are pretty pathetic IMO. Get accommodations with cooking facilities and a 1 month membership at a nearby gym

I'm new to the party, sorry. This sums up my thoughts exactly.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Is there a Homewood Suites nearby? Not super posh, but they have nice little kitchenettes (2 burner stove, full-size refrigerator, dishwasher) AND (smallish) gyms! More time to cook and workout if you have a shorter commute!

This. They are my go-to place now when I travel. Small kitchenette makes for a great way to have better control over your meals. I've also started traveling with my protein shaker, a bowl w/cover and spoon/fork utensil. This way, I can make a quick meal at the airport, or if I get stuck in a hotel with just a microwave can come up with some creative ideas that would otherwise be forced to eat out.
  • mikeyceez
    mikeyceez Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

If there isn't a Homewood Suites nearby, then a Residence Inn is a decent alternative.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I actually did this - not for just 1 month, but 3 months during rotations...hotel with a gym & just diet like hell (was living of off oatmeal, yogurt, & whey protein mostly). Managed to shove in cardio everyday 4-5am & shoved in some basic weight lifting sporadically (busy as hell @ the time). Nice thing was, diet was a no-brainer/automatic (no decision fatigue is sometimes a good thing)
    *Broke as kitten at the time though but got the job done (just maintain, no crazy gains/losses, no drastically changing how much food I was consuming)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I vote for the short commute and use the extra hour for running to the grocery store/Whole Foods aka Whole Paycheck. The hotel gym would work for me but I'd also take it outside if my surroundings were safe. I like grabNgo, micro and mini fridge floats my boat. I did this for a month in February during the worst snowstorm on record. I don't like driving all that much in the big city.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Kitchen. You could always go out and run or walk for exercise.