Weight Watchers Online?

Options
2»

Replies

• BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I can't make it work. When a 200 calorie protein bar is 1/3 of my daily points, and an occasional piece of cheesecake is ALL of my daily points **plus** some weekly points...that's just setting myself up for failure.

I think if you are a super healthy eater and don't have a sweet tooth, it could work!

This is exactly how I feel. Eating a candy bar should not "ruin" my entire day when it easily fits into my calorie goals. Just speaking personally, that plan would set me up to binge because I've "already ruined it" anyway with something as simple as one dessert, when MFP shows me that I can easily eat the things I want in moderation.

I also think that unless you eat super healthy foods all day long (i.e. a normal dinner for you is plain chicken and vegetables) WW sets you up to undereat by deciding that certain "bad" foods are worth tons of points even if they're not that high in calories. This again sets people up to binge because they just get too hungry.

I could see the in person weigh-ins being motivating, but if you're just doing online anyway idk why you wouldn't just stick with this site for free.

Exactly. And I agree about the meetings probably being helpful to many. I live in the sticks (nearest meeting 4 hours away), so that won't work for me either. I think a wise "diet" plan is to eat what you want, in moderation. And with MFP, you can do that. It just makes more sense to me.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I did WW for about 10 years but I quit when sugar became a huge part of their points calculation, because of the exact effect that @BlessedMom70 pointed out.
    I can't make it work. When a 200 calorie protein bar is 1/3 of my daily points, and an occasional piece of cheesecake is ALL of my daily points **plus** some weekly points...that's just setting myself up for failure.

That said, WW was the first program that ever gave me any weight loss success. The current WW program is obviously trying to lead people to eat food that is more healthy: more veggies, fruit, lean proteins, whole foods, and so forth. If that's what you are looking for, or even if you just want a change, it could work great for you. Yeah, they are trying to make money, and I agree with much of what was said above, but there's a lot of negative feedback here and I wanted to point out that WW isn't ALL bad.

I agree...I do not think WW is 'all bad'. I think it works for many people. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. I am training myself to eat the foods I like, only in moderation. WW restricts too much. I can fit a bowl of ice cream into my day easily with MFP. Not with WW...too many points. I don't stress now when friends want to go out to dinner. I can eat exactly what I want and not have to spend an entire day's worth of points.

Bottom line: we all have to find what works for us. For me personally, counting calories just makes so much more sense.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I did WW for about 10 years but I quit when sugar became a huge part of their points calculation, because of the exact effect that @BlessedMom70 pointed out.

That said, WW was the first program that ever gave me any weight loss success. The current WW program is obviously trying to lead people to eat food that is more healthy: more veggies, fruit, lean proteins, whole foods, and so forth. If that's what you are looking for, or even if you just want a change, it could work great for you. Yeah, they are trying to make money, and I agree with much of what was said above, but there's a lot of negative feedback here and I wanted to point out that WW isn't ALL bad.

What happens is those not successful on WW will not like it, those like me who were (lost 96) will swear by it, but it comes down to what it is you will stick with. Losing weight requires burning more calories than you are taking in. If WW keeps you at a calorie deficit and you can stick with it, it will work. And you probably will receive your nutrients and maintain your health provided you don't fall for the processed junk foods that fit into your daily points. If Keto keeps you at a deficit and you find you can stick with it, you'll lose weight. If eating 5 snickers bars as your only meal keeps you at a deficit and you can stick with it, you'll lose weight (and be missing a lot of vital nutrients).

It all comes down to what way of eating you can stick to that results in a calorie deficit. But I don't want a temporary "diet"--I want a lifetime way of eating. I think WW does a good job of providing that. And then I tweaked it and moved here. Anyone who has tried WW will have an opinion (and some who haven't also will). I don't remark on the validity of Keto because I've never done it.

I did MFP many times over the years and basically could not stick to logging calories everyday. I could stick to WW points for a variety of reasons. Now, I'm in a different place and get more benefit from logging calories.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You have to go with what motivates you and works for you. But I'll say this...
    I have never done ww. I've had great success with mfp. My friends doing ww always seem to be struggling, or they feel guilty using their points ect...they are not losing weight and feel bad about paying and trying to manipulate a point system to be able to enjoy food. I don't understand the system, but ww is a business and like all businesses, they want you to return. It feels scammy to me. Maybe try one month of MFP, see how you do. Then try a month of ww. Could help you make up your mind?!