Who was the worst teacher you ever had?

Options
rdevol
rdevol Posts: 278 Member
Sister Gerard! To this day that name strikes fear in my heart! She was about 4-1/2 feet tall, wore a full nun's habit, and was mean as catsh*t! She wasn't afraid to use various school accessories as weapons - although rulers were usually her weapon of choice. So much for being a woman of God, but I guess anyone would get cranky wearing that outfit every day!

So who was YOUR worst teacher ever?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    6th grade teacher
    I transfered into the school mid year and they had a very different system and pace. I had been a pretty good student at my previous school.
    My teacher divided our class into groups for math based on your level of work. Each small group was named with a color- red, silver, blue, etc. I started in red and was soon dropped down to the brown group which of course was the lowest in the class. What do you think 6th graders associate brown with? Great for self esteem and getting along with others. We were given an assignment sheet and mainly worked on our own through the assignments. When I had trouble doing the work I had to stay after school for punishment for weeks. I was not given help or actual instruction just punishment.
    She did not hit or yell but was very hard on students who were not at the top of the class. I don't feel she really taught me anything positive.

• DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt it was my second grade teacher, Sister Beelzebub. Ok I don't recall her real name any-longer but she was a devil for sure. I believe she was once a Hitler youth and latter an SS Officer. I once feared nuns even more than clowns and those flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz.
    She would smack us with a ruler if we got any answer incorrectly. And if we "misbehaved" with in her construct of what correct behavior was we got a serious beat-down. I'm talking a big old paddle with holes drilled in it so there was less wind resistance. Other punishments included holding these two big azz bibles in our hands with our arms extended out fully and at shoulder height. If our arms started to go down as they always did, she would smack our arms with her ruler.
    I'm sure if she had known about waterboarding she would have used that as well.
    Eventually my old man went off on her and pulled me from the school but the damage was done by then.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    :o its hard to believe that children were treated this way in the name of education - nothing educational about it. I had these types of teachers too...and we want to believe that our kids will not suffer this but the teachers can be just as evil now...and NOW we work to create laws to get these vile creatures out of our schools and away from our children - its criminal to mistreat a child! >:)
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Grimes. 6th grade. Witch of a woman. I was the quiet, perfectionistic kid who never got in trouble and always flew through my classes with straight As, but she hated me so much and I never could figure out why.
    Thankfully, in 6th grade we started rotating between 3 teachers/classrooms, so she could only pick on me for 2-3 hours a day instead of all day. I still got As easily on the work for the other two, but she was merciless and would give me Cs or Ds on anything that she could and make me do things that she couldn’t grade subjectively over and over again because I finished them “too quickly”. I was a painfully shy kid who loved to read and she used to tell me regularly that I obviously had severe emotional problems because it wasn’t normal for a kid my age to read so much. That was part of why I had to repeat worksheets over and over as punishment for being able to do them quickly - she thought it was weird that I’d finish an assignment and then read until the class moved on and that was her way of preventing it. What teacher is anti-reading?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I had a biology teacher in HS who was probably in his late 50s who used to tell his classes of 14 to 18-year-olds that he would be living a very long life and attending all of our funerals. He had a heart attack and died in my senior year.
  • rdevol
    Options
    Wow - these stories are crazy! Makes you wonder why someone would pick teaching as a career if they hate kids so much!
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    My Homeroom/English teacher in middle school. She was 60 but looked like she was going on 92. A little green in the skin. I admit, I was a bit of a troublemaker but never defiant toward faculty. Just the usual monkey business with my friends. I don't know why she had a vendetta against me because one day she had my dad fill in for her during homeroom. I was like, why u do dis? My dad had zero credentials. I was so confused. Then, for Act II, she invited herself to have dinner with us at our house. Even my mom was like wtf is up with your teacher? She wants to try my mediocre cooking. Did you tell her about my taco casserole, son? So awkward.
    Another thing I remember was she had a bum foot and would always rest it, bare and all, on the desk while we did quiet work. Guess who was assigned to the desk to the right of hers? Yup. Yellow, crusty toenails all up in your boy's circumference. :expressionless:
  • rdevol
    Options
    I had several nuns as teachers throughout my Catholic grade school upbringing. A few of them were very nice people and great teachers. A few of them were not. I guess it's the same with public school teachers...some good, some bad. I just know that at our grade school reunion, Sister Gerard's name came up more than any other teacher's name, usually involving some type of physical or verbal abuse. I guess that was kind of the way some teachers were way back in the day. ;)
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Mr Clark - Head teacher for my first year at college. As I was near some friends who were breaking one his ridiculous rules I got dragged in and asked "Who is the more guilty, the man that stabs someone or the man that watches him do it?" . I went with the guy with knife, ignored his ruling to exclude me from the leisure areas and went about my normal schooling. It led to lots of interesting future chastisements, had the door slammed in my face, and nearly got run over by him, etc. 20 years later my daughter went to the lower school on the same site and he refused to admit her existence her, wouldn't even read her name out in the register - some people really are bitter.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    My Homeroom/English teacher in middle school. She was 60 but looked like she was going on 92. A little green in the skin. I admit, I was a bit of a troublemaker but never defiant toward faculty. Just the usual monkey business with my friends. I don't know why she had a vendetta against me because one day she had my dad fill in for her during homeroom. I was like, why u do dis? My dad had zero credentials. I was so confused. Then, for Act II, she invited herself to have dinner with us at our house. Even my mom was like wtf is up with your teacher? She wants to try my mediocre cooking. Did you tell her about my taco casserole, son? So awkward.
    Another thing I remember was she had a bum foot and would always rest it, bare and all, on the desk while we did quiet work. Guess who was assigned to the desk to the right of hers? Yup. Yellow, crusty toenails all up in your boy's circumference. :expressionless:

Is this for real or just one of your jokes...cause its disturbing if its for real...all of these are so sad lol :'(

I grew up in an inner city school. A mix of gangs, refugees, and some lower income families...but all my experiences with the teachers were great.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »

Is this for real or just one of your jokes...cause its disturbing if its for real...all of these are so sad lol :'(

I grew up in an inner city school. A mix of gangs, refugees, and some lower income families...but all my experiences with the teachers were great.

I only had that one really bad teacher in 6th grade. She may have had positive qualities but I never saw them. Maybe she was burned out after years of teaching.
    I did okay with other teachers at that school and other schools and had many positive educational experiences.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    Certain bad relationships.
    While I may have learned the most from them, they did the most damage equal to or surpassing the growth.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,845 Member
    Options
    My worst teacher was my favorite teacher at the time. It was my 8th grade Science teacher that looked exactly like Drew Carey. He never taught anything at all. We'd go to class and watch movies or he'd tell us stories. He'd leave the room for long periods of time and stuff would be thrown out the windows or set on fire in the sinks. He really did not care at all. You could miss a test and he would never have you make it up. He'd just give you an A. That Science class was more just like an out of control study hall. We didn't learn anything, and that was his first and last year teaching at my school.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    High school pe teacher. Total btch ...
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    rdevol wrote: »
    Sister Gerard! To this day that name strikes fear in my heart! She was about 4-1/2 feet tall, wore a full nun's habit, and was mean as catsh*t! She wasn't afraid to use various school accessories as weapons - although rulers were usually her weapon of choice. So much for being a woman of God, but I guess anyone would get cranky wearing that outfit every day!

So who was YOUR worst teacher ever?

My 1L Constitutional & Administrative Law lecturer. For punctuation, he'd thrust at us from upfront to right by our heads, as he'd work the room - leg up for easement no less ROFL
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    A music teacher who took the high school girls out into the camper on the back of his truck and gave them private music lessons during lunch hours and after school. A history teacher who took a high school girl under his wing and they had a baby. She jumped off a haystack and tried to 'fix' it. Fortunately, she wasn't hurt and the baby's daddy was promoted but did transfer. Isn't that the way.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Hibbler - Kindergarten. Not only was she directly related to my nursery school principal (who hated me and favored her grandson and nephew over everyone else she was responsible for), but who seemed to single me out because one of her relatives (aforementioned nephew) was also in my class and had it out for me. He would put glue, eggs, gum (anything) he could get his hands on into my hair. Pull my hair, kick my chair, instigate fights with me, etc. And she always sided with him even though the other kids in the class were witnesses and often corroborated what I was telling her. She was mean, vindictive and it was plain that she hated children unless they were somehow related to her. She was terrible.