French Fry Nutrition question.......

Options
REDMANIV
REDMANIV Posts: 348 Member
Hello All...........yes I know I should just say NO NO NO to regular good ole fried french fries. They are one of the few treats that I still allow myself to enjoy from time to time. I am not the biggest fan of sweet potato fries.....just not my thing.

My question for you is this...I normally cook my fries in the oven. For calorie counting purposes should I be weighing my potatoes raw and counting that as my calorie count total or should I weigh them after they come out of the oven and use the cooked weight for calorie counting purposes?

I normally go with the raw weight because it helps keep me in check when eating them.......what say you?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if they're oven chips use the bags nutritional values. if you're making your own, weigh all the ingredients raw and log that way.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Are you making them from scratch or the frozen kind? My advice is to always weigh uncooked and any other premeasured ingredients should be calculated at the beginning. For example, when I make fries (I see no problem with fries in an otherwise well balanced diet) I weigh my potatoes and measure the oil that I toss them in, and those are the calories that I count. I don't worry about what little oil might have cooked off or is leftover on the pan. Make sense?
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Are you making them from scratch or the frozen kind? My advice is to always weigh uncooked and any other premeasured ingredients should be calculated at the beginning. For example, when I make fries (I see no problem with fries in an otherwise well balanced diet) I weigh my potatoes and measure the oil that I toss them in, and those are the calories that I count. I don't worry about what little oil might have cooked off or is leftover on the pan. Make sense?

This is what I do. And there's nothing wrong with regular old potatoes. They are full of potassium, vitamin C, and B vitamins! I make some kind of fried potato every couple of weeks.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Listen to these people about weighing, they're right.

Also, screw the people who say "SAY NO" to French Fries.

It's Fat and Carbs and Salt and Deliciousness.

Fit it into your daily calories, know you might retain some water, and be smart about it.

Maybe I'll get some french fries tonight now...mmmMMMMMMmmmm
  • REDMANIV
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies! Yes I do make them from scratch. Until now I have always felt a little guilty about eating them as I thought they were not a very good choice health wise. I have cut out so many things that I like though so this is one of the few things that I hold on to. I tend to rinse, then slice my potato, then spray them with PAM, then season them, then toss them into the oven.

It does make since to weigh out the oil.............oil is so expensive calorie wise. I have been reading some books about how it is ok and good to get healthy oils into the diet. I normally try to achieve this through eating fish.

Thanks again for your replies, I appreciate it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    REDMANIV wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your replies! Yes I do make them from scratch. Until now I have always felt a little guilty about eating them as I thought they were not a very good choice health wise. I have cut out so many things that I like though so this is one of the few things that I hold on to. I tend to rinse, then slice my potato, then spray them with PAM, then season them, then toss them into the oven.

It does make since to weigh out the oil.............oil is so expensive calorie wise. I have been reading some books about how it is ok and good to get healthy oils into the diet. I normally try to achieve this through eating fish.

what's so bad about potato?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

I haven't cut out anything I like. I might eat less of them or less often but I still eat the food I ate before I began. In the last 3 weeks I have hit my target each week and I have had pizza, cookies, candy bar, fried chicken, French fries (deep fried in oil), potato chips, and other stuff I am probably forgetting. Of course I have also eaten a lot of vegetables and lean proteins too.
  • REDMANIV
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic and am currently on a mission to use my diet as a means as helping to lower my A1C glucose numbers. I have been reading up on books about carbs and how they affect and impact blood sugar. I have found that not all carbs are created equally. Certain carbs get absorbed into the blood stream quicker than others. I agree and understand that anything in moderation should be ok. I LOVE potatoes yet have had to switch to higher quality carbs. My new favorite go to is cauliflower rice, I like to doctor it up to make different dishes. Having the Air Fryer though will allow me to hopefully get that fried taste without all of the oil.

Where I am located the state fair is in town throughout the remainder of the month. Last year they had a pretty good deal on an air fryer so think I will head back up there this weekend to see what they have to offer and to possibly pick one up.

I agree about not cutting things out however due to trying to get my glucose numbers under control I have had to say no more often to things that I really loved to eat..........fried potatoes has been one of those items.

Thanks again for your replies.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,342 Member
    Options
    I love fries, my favorite are the Ore Ida fast food fries. I make them in the oven & have so far weighed them cooked but I see raw is best
  • REDMANIV
    Options

I think part of your problem might be with the name. Instead of calling them "fries" and deeming them a NO NO NO, how about you call them "roasted potatoes"?[/quote]

Roasted potatoes.............yes yes yes............I like this mucho! Normally I do dice my potatoes up or cut them into wedges and season them up with my favorite seasonings and then plop them in the oven for a good roast. They come out good however I think that Air Fryer might give them a little bit different texture....we shall see.

Thank you again for the input...........Roasted potatoes sounds much healthier : ) (I know they can be bad depending on what they are tossed in oil wise) I shall take on your advice though.

Roasted potatoes it is!
  • REDMANIV
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    I love fries, my favorite are the Ore Ida fast food fries. I make them in the oven & have so far weighed them cooked but I see raw is best

I used to eat those but the calories add up too quickly. I think the Ore Ida ones are flash fried and then frozen...I seem to get way more bang for my buck using fresh potatoes.........

I love me some tater tots though : ). I have to count those puppies out...9 per serving...adds up quick. I have replaced them with cauliflower and broccoli tots...they are interesting however still give me the crunch that I desire.

Thanks for the share!
  • REDMANIV
    Options
    What are some of your favorite Roasted Potato seasonings? I love garlic and herb, old bay, seasoned salt and cracked pepper on mine....I mix it up depending on my mood but those are my staples. I spray my roasted tators with Pam then season em then in the oven they go for a nice roast.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options

I think part of your problem might be with the name. Instead of calling them "fries" and deeming them a NO NO NO, how about you call them "roasted potatoes"?

I leave the skin on and call them wedges
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Okay to eat regular fries, just figure out calories for portion size you choose and enjoy!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    What are some of your favorite Roasted Potato seasonings? I love garlic and herb, old bay, seasoned salt and cracked pepper on mine....I mix it up depending on my mood but those are my staples. I spray my roasted tators with Pam then season em then in the oven they go for a nice roast.

Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute is my personal favorite on roasted potatoes. I eat them a lot.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm maybe I'll make some fries tomorrow, to go with my pulled pork :)
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    I would say before cooking. But you may want to get an air fryer. Makes them reAL crisp like oil frying but not the extra calories