Macro %

Options
What is everyone’s macro % for weight loss. Mine is just set to the standard and not sure if it’s right.

I go to the gym 3 + times a week and have an active job

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Macros should be set based on personal preference and goals. I have mine pretty well balanced, 30f/30p/40c I think because I like a bit more protein than MFP defaulted me to.

There are minimums to be aware of, but macros are secondary for most people - cals are king!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What is everyone’s macro % for weight loss. Mine is just set to the standard and not sure if it’s right.

I go to the gym 3 + times a week and have an active job

MFP macros are fine. its the calorie deficit for weight loss.

i have tweaked mine to 25% protein (which is about 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight), around 35% fat as fat helps keep me full, and the rest carbs.

you can tweak them any way you like that helps you stick to your deficit.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Also, because MFP uses percentages rather than hard numbers, how many cals you eat can impact what you're percentages are set to. For example, I want about 150-160g of protein per day. The percentage that gets me to that number on 1800 total cals is very different than the percentage at 3000 cals, if that makes sense.

So really, it's less about what the percentage is and more about what that percentage equates to in grams per day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Just use the defaults. They are reasonable and easy to use. I never worry a whole lot about any of them except protein - that one you want to hit at or above every day. If you do that, fat kind of takes care of itself (it is also a minimum to hit.)

It's all about calories for weight loss.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to have a different answer here. I follow a Keto diet so my macro goals are 60f/30p/10c.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My trainer had me change mine to 50%p - 25%f - 25%c
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

Wow... that's a lot of protein! I thought mine was high at 30%. I prefer a split of about 48%c,30%p,22-23%f. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies because they help me feel full along with the higher protein. I find fat does nothing for me as far as feeling full. Works for some, but bulk works better for me.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

Wow... that's a lot of protein! I thought mine was high at 30%. I prefer a split of about 48%c,30%p,22-23%f. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies because they help me feel full along with the higher protein. I find fat does nothing for me as far as feeling full. Works for some, but bulk works better for me.

Maybe, maybe not. 50% protein on a 1000 cal per day diet is about 125g of protein, which may be very reasonable depending on her goals. 50% protein on 3000 cals per day is a lot.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »

Maybe, maybe not. 50% protein on a 1000 cal per day diet is about 125g of protein, which may be very reasonable depending on her goals. 50% protein on 3000 cals per day is a lot.

I was quoting from my caloric intake. I guess I should have clarified that. Lol. Sorry.
  • Chelle8070
    Options
    It works out to be about 156g of protein, 35g of fat and 78g of carbs.

I miss carbs. The majority of the carbs I eat are tucked in fruits and veggies. The protein bars I eat have between 20-24g. A "splurge" for me in the last month is to have a slice of whole grain bread at lunch. I miss carbs :neutral:
  • cmriverside
    Options

I miss carbs. The majority of the carbs I eat are tucked in fruits and veggies. The protein bars I eat have between 20-24g. A "splurge" for me in the last month is to have a slice of whole grain bread at lunch. I miss carbs :neutral:

Well, you don't have to eat that way. 156g of protein is quite a lot.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Doesn't sound very sustainable?
  • cmriverside
    edited June 2018
    Options

Well, you don't have to eat that way. 156g of protein is quite a lot.

<to continue, because I always have more to say>

...for a woman. I dunno, I'm a woman and I always just used the defaults. I didn't suffer any big problems, I lost weight right on schedule and I didn't have to give up food I love.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It doesn't sound like that is a good fit for you. A slice of bread doesn't have to be a "splurge."
  • Chelle8070
    Options
    I had 2 or 3 years of attempting weight loss and literally, nothing. I even quit my desk job and got a job in a concrete plant huffin' wheelbarrows full of concrete, climbing forms to check them - working on my feet at a fast pace for 10-16 hours a day, tracking foods, etc, etc. Nothing. Naturally, that is defeating and I gave up for a bit.

I decided to hire a personal trainer, told him of my struggles and this is what he decided on. I figured I might as well try it out.

I have found plenty of awesome enough recipes that I generally get in the 130g-165g of protein range, I like to keep carbs under 70 when I can but that's just because I have too many friends doing the keto diet LOL.

Tomorrow is a only a month since my first training appointment and we'll check my weight and measurements and strength levels. My scale at home shows I lost 11lbs. I'm eager to see the measurements!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I had 2 or 3 years of attempting weight loss and literally, nothing. I even quit my desk job and got a job in a concrete plant huffin' wheelbarrows full of concrete, climbing forms to check them - working on my feet at a fast pace for 10-16 hours a day, tracking foods, etc, etc. Nothing. Naturally, that is defeating and I gave up for a bit.

I decided to hire a personal trainer, told him of my struggles and this is what he decided on. I figured I might as well try it out.

I have found plenty of awesome enough recipes that I generally get in the 130g-165g of protein range, I like to keep carbs under 70 when I can but that's just because I have too many friends doing the keto diet LOL.

Tomorrow is a only a month since my first training appointment and we'll check my weight and measurements and strength levels. My scale at home shows I lost 11lbs. I'm eager to see the measurements!

He has qualifications in nutrition as well as personal training?
  • Chelle8070
    Options

He has qualifications in nutrition as well as personal training?

I sure hope so! I suppose that's a good question to ask....
  • Chelle8070
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

It doesn't sound like that is a good fit for you. A slice of bread doesn't have to be a "splurge."

Agreed. That would be a red flag for me.

I'm "allowed" a cup of complex carbs a day... but I don't much like rice or quinoa or whole wheat pasta. I try and skip anything extra most days. I like my carbs well below 100g when feasible. A slice of bread has 20g in it so that's a big % of the day for me.