Pullup game getting weaker

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I don't think I saw reference to frequency in any of the responses.

I know from other discussions I'll see someone doing them daily, even though with only 1-3 reps possible, it's obviously in the realm of heavy compound lifting, and if it was squats or bench they would leave a rest day in there to actually recovery and repair, hopefully stronger.

Are these daily attempts that have gotten worse.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    I've got you covered there! Go get an elbow tendon strap. Did wonders for me. I actually got a large and used it up near my armpit for a while to help with some shoulder tendonitis.

https://www.amazon.com/McDavid-Elbow-Strap-Tendonitis-Tennis/dp/B002DPJEW0

Strap arrived Saturday and it works wonders. I can't believe what a little pressure does for that issue. Thank you! Have not tested pull ups just yet, took a few weeks off those to hopefully let this heal, but was noticing it more and more just lifting free weights and the pain is gone with that strap on. I guess time will tell if it's actually solving anything long term but love the strap so far.

I've gotten so paranoid about my tendinitis that I wear my straps whenever I lift - regardless if I have a current issue or not. ;)

I mentioned before but you might invest in a type of lifting "grips" that have built in straps too - I use them when grip strength would compromise a workout (shrugs, heavy pulldowns, etc) and especially when my elbows start acting up.

nzf0hq7l05da.jpg
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've got you covered there! Go get an elbow tendon strap. Did wonders for me. I actually got a large and used it up near my armpit for a while to help with some shoulder tendonitis.

https://www.amazon.com/McDavid-Elbow-Strap-Tendonitis-Tennis/dp/B002DPJEW0

Strap arrived Saturday and it works wonders. I can't believe what a little pressure does for that issue. Thank you! Have not tested pull ups just yet, took a few weeks off those to hopefully let this heal, but was noticing it more and more just lifting free weights and the pain is gone with that strap on. I guess time will tell if it's actually solving anything long term but love the strap so far.

After wearing one for a few weeks I've actually been able to do my upper body workouts pain free without it. But if I start feeling a twinge I immediately throw it back on. I'm really glad it worked out for you!
  • whitey_71
    whitey_71 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Solid advice in here.

I'd also recommend the following if you are struggling with pull-ups:

1.) Negatives. Lower yourself as slowly as possible (the eccentric movement of the pull-up)
    2.) Isometric Holds.
    3.) Bands. If they have a squat cage you can do them in bands are great. Start with as many as you need to do a set and then remove a band, rinse and repeat.

When i was power-lifting using Wendler's 5-3-1, i had to do all of these in the beginning to get my 50 reps in. In the particular program i was doing in-between each push set (either shoulder or bench) you would do a set of pull-ups. Each set i varied the grip too.