Goal Weight Comments

Options
I started at 316lbs after a lifetime of poor eating habits and inability to manage my own anxiety without food. I'm now at 209lbs and my goal weight is 110lbs. I am 5'2 and have read that a healthy weight range is between 101-130ish. Whenever people ask me my goal weight and I tell them they always give me the stories of how I will look sick, how it's good to have some meat on my bones, it's too thin for my shape because I'm stocky, etc. I personally don't think that it's entirely unrealistic to aim for that weight. It's hard for me to imagine myself at that weight but that's only because I haven't weighed that much since I was a pre-teen, I'm 28 now. I'm not dead set on 110lbs or nothing, getting healthy is the main goal but I still really want to strive towards it. Does anyone else get negative comments about their goals?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. I'm exactly the same height as you but quite a bit older and I look fine between 115-130 so at your age 110 is fine but not sure about going any lower than that. You'll know when you get there if you look too thin or not.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I think 5'2 & 110lbs sounds totally reasonable.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The people giving you the feedback on your goal weight probably just want you to be realistic. Since your start weight is 316, you'll probably look fabulous at 145-150. Some people get discouraged if they can't make their 'goal', thereby causing undue stress on themselves. I would suggest making smaller goals, like: get under 200, get in the 180's, etc.
  • _Madison_Leigh
    Options
    Reach for what you want, as long s your MD says ok. Everyone's different so you wont now what you look like till you get there.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and my goal is 110 and then reevaluation, but I care more about BF% than a number on a scale. I am now 114lbs and definitely do not look anything close to underweight or too skinny.

It all depends on your frame honestly.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I've learned not to tell anybody anything because pretty much anything you tell people about diet/weithloss/nutrition/fitness results in unwarranted advice and feedback. When people ask what I've done, then I tell them. If people ask what my goal is, I'll say something vague like "I just want to be healthy and fit" and nobody can really argue with that.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I do have small goals and my first one is to get below 200 and then I think I will do 20lb increments, not sure, maybe 10. I just found out last week that we're expecting our first child so I think I might only be able to reach the below 200 one safely. I need to ask my doctor about it but I've read that exercising is allowed during pregnancy so I'm picking up Zumba for my Wii and I have some small hand weights that I'm going to start using. I don't mind that my friends and family want me to be realistic but those sort of comments are part of the reason I lived in denial of my weight for so long as well. It's really easy to look in the mirror and hear them all saying how you don't look overweight, you carry it so well, blah blah let me coddle you bs. Thank goodness pictures don't lie or I could still be 316+!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you. I don't think that goal is unrealistic. Depending on how you carry it, you might even decide you're happy before you get there. I don't think I'll get that low, but who knows?

Also... I flat out don't tell people my goal weight. Partially because I don't really have one in mind ( I'm going more on how I look), but mostly because its none of their business. I respond with "oh, I'm just trying to get to a healthy weight.)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I walked every day during my second pregnancy and didn't gain any weight, only baby weight. Walking certainly is ok when pregnant!
  • _chelseadawn
    _chelseadawn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did. When I was almost at my goal last time (before I fell pregnant and had my son) people were telling me to stop. I'm 5'3 and I was 127lbs but wanted to be 115-120lbs. This time around my first goal is my pre-pregnancy weight of 127 and then when I get there if I want to lose more I will. No one else has the right to tell me how I should want to look as long as I am still a healthy weight.

Aim for your goal. Reappraise the situation as you go. If you feel like you're underweight for your shape, stop. If not, get to the weight you want :)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1.5 and my goal weight is between 120 and 110, anywhere in that area. I'm 117.5 right now, I've NEVER been this small, while I do think I look pretty great, and am very proud of myself, I'm still not yet satisfied, I'm told all the time I don't need to lose more, I am going to look unhealthy. Well let me tell ya, I don't see how, I can still lay on my side and not feel like I'm going to be unbalanced lol. Not that, that is anything I'm aiming for, it's just that I know there is still fat that needs to be lost.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal weight. It takes care of that problem quite well. lol...

I don't believe numbers make good goals.