sugar!!! what are your numbers like?

2»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I eat about 200 grams of carbs per day. I really don't know or care how much of it is sugar.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Looks like I stirred up quite a discussion over types of sugar - I have ADHD and am definitely sensitive to sugar, which is why I look for low GI alternatives. I don't think the question is WHETHER all sugars turn to glucose in the body, but how fast they do. The slower, the better.

Check out http://www.livestrong.com/low-glycemic-index-foods/. As far at fruit goes, berries are much lower than other fruits on the GI scale. Whole fruits are much better than juices in any form b/c they contain fiber. Eat anything with sugar, natural or otherwise with protein and fat to help slow the absorption.
  • It's good to hear that the natural sugars like those in fruit and milk don't count! I was worried when I ate a banana this morning and saw it has 14 g of sugar when my daily limit says 24 g. I will now only keep track of the refined sugars. Thanks so much everyone for your posts!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    I had the same exact concern, have some milk with cereal and an apple for a snack and you have pretty much blown the sugar budget. Based on this thread, the common sense is that you don't worry about "good sugar", aka natural sugar found in raw food. I think being sensitized to sugar content in processed foods is the point. The avalanche of sugar on the shelves of the grocery store is truly amazing (as another fat American its a bit depressing). Read the label, some cereals have sugar levels an order of magnitude higher that others. I'm trying to make choices that lower my sugar intake but I don't worry about my sugar graph.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    I haven't tracked a single gram of sugar through 300+ lbs. of weight loss...... only concerned with Carbs Proteins and Fat. ... Best of Luck

Dude! 300+ pounds makes you an expert. You are my hero!
  • I stopped tracking my sugar because I always went over even though all my sugar was coming from fresh fruit.