BMR

Options
Samm471
Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
I was wondering if someone could help out. Does MFP calculate your BMR or your TDEE? Also if your calories are based on TDEE does that mean that you shouldn't eat your exercise calories back? But if your calories are based solely on your BMR you should eat exercise calories back? I'm a bit confused with this

Replies

• HelenGrace203
    HelenGrace203 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    MFP does not include active calories burned, so its your BMR, not TDEE. There's a video somewhere with a good explanation, I'll see if I can find it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Neither. It calculates your NEAT, which is basically TDEE minus exercise. This is why you eat your exercise calories back on here.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Neither. It calculates your NEAT, which is basically TDEE minus exercise. This is why you eat your exercise calories back on here.

This
  • Samm471
    Options
    I'm just totally confused with the whole thing. My calories are set at 1600 but when I exercise I never log my calories burned and I don't eat them back. I just make sure I hit that 1600 calories each day. But does that mean say I burn 500 calories through exercise does that mean really I'm actually only eating 1100 calories??
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »
    I'm just totally confused with the whole thing. My calories are set at 1600 but when I exercise I never log my calories burned and I don't eat them back. I just make sure I hit that 1600 calories each day. But does that mean say I burn 500 calories through exercise does that mean really I'm actually only eating 1100 calories??

Yep
  • Samm471
    Options
    Okay so on here I eat them back but if I was going to use TDEE for my calories I'd never have to eat them back because exercise calories are included in the TDEE? Wow so I've been eating 1600 calories on here and after burning 500 I could of had a little treat and didn't even know this
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Okay so on here I eat them back but if I was going to use TDEE for my calories I'd never have to eat them back because exercise calories are included in the TDEE? Wow so I've been eating 1600 calories on here and after burning 500 I could of had a little treat and didn't even know this

Yes and yes, with the caveat that your calories burnt is an accurate estimate. (ie not just what a gym machine says)
  • Samm471
    Options

Yes and yes, with the caveat that your calories burnt is an accurate estimate. (ie not just what a gym machine says)

I just go with my Fitbit I know it's not 100% accurate but it's all I really have to track my calories burned
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    e0ccgk7wnau7.jpg