are all calories equal?

Options
something i’ve kind of been wondering about for awhile now, and i’d love feedback!

are all calories equal? what i mean is, if you eat 200 calories of something filling, like chicken breast, versus 200 calories of something with no nutritional value and not filling, like a snickers bar, will the chicken breast cause you to gain more weight since you get more full? i’m not sure if i phrased that right, but i hope someone will understand the point i’m trying to make and help me out!

also, feel free to add me! :)

Replies

• emilyhultin
    emilyhultin Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Why do you ask OP? Every time you eat chicken do you intend to replace it with a Snickers Bar?

i was just using those examples, my point was really asking if one food makes you more full than another does it also contribute more to your weight. i know chicken is a much better choice than candy :)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    The poor Snickers bar. I love them in a pinch.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    BUT.... doesn't high fibre food need more energy for digestion? Theoretically - if one could eat say... celery sticks all day long, 2ooo calories worth would actually need more calories to digest. Obviously not a solution to weight loss, but some high fibre foods fill you up and burn more energy....(?)

Every study I have seen about increasing calories of chewing and/or digestion has come to the same conclusion - true, but negligible, with one exception, There was one on nut butters and it turned out that with chunky, up to 20% of the calories passed through (I feel for the scientists testing poop for calories) while with smooth it is near zero.