So I'm an RA... (Advice?)

Options
Like the title says, I'm an RA this year. I'm doing a bulletin board for my floor about nutrition and eating healthy in university. What is some advice on the topic that you would pass along to incoming freshmen? Thanks! :)

Oh, also, for those who are interested, the boards have a '50s theme, so the title will be "Eating Right is SO BOSS" and it'll be a malt and burger on a black and white checkered background

Replies

• ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump? :)
  • foxyroxyross
    Options
    Watch out for the carbs and avoid unhealthy late night study snacks!
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a junior at my school, and while I've never been an RA, my RAs always did optional hall programs. Maybe think of creative things to do together? Are you in charge of just girls and girls or boys? You could do a mani-pedi night, and serve tasty healthy snacks, or go on a get-to-know you walk. Are you required to give an alcohol shpeel? Maybe talk about how an excess of alcohol can contribute to the freshmen 15?
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    When I was a freshman, I had no idea that calories really mattered that much. I thought it was all about carbs and fat. I know, I know. Dumb. So I would put something on there about calories in/calories out, just to make them aware of it.

Maybe you could also give them healthy snack suggestions, like nuts and berries, etc. That sounds lame, but honestly I was so uninformed about food and nutrition at that age that it would have been news to me.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Watch out for the carbs and avoid unhealthy late night study snacks!

What?
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions for the board (probably because both of the RAs I had while living in the dorms SUCKED), but PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD when you have hall meetings/programs, provide something to eat other than pizza and cookies. Like, on occasion it was nice, but the most irritating thing was during finals week when RAs in my dorm would have programs about managing stress and all the food would be unhealthy.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Make sure they know about the campus gym. Have a sign up sheet and volunteer to workout with a few of them during the week in the beginning of the school year. When I was a freshmen this was best assistance I received because I was little about going to gym alone and I afraid people would stare at me----have my RA there helped a lot
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I was an RA for 3 years so I know where you are coming from:) you might want to put info on how detrimental the late night take out can be. The importance of having healthy snacks available when the dining hall is closed. Maybe a suggestion list of things they can keep in their micro fridge. Maybe encouraging them to choose instant oatmeal over ramen noodles. Suggest keeping a fruit bowl in their rooms. Suggest getting a blender and post smoothie recipes or protein shake recipes. Host floor supper nights when the floor all gets together in a community kitchen a cook healthy foods together or bring healthy dishes for a healthy potluck.. You could even do trivia. Cut out pictures of different foods from magazines and put them on the board then have the words " which is healthier" or which has more sodium" or " which has more fat" " which has more fiber/calories/sugar" etc THEN put the grams under each picture under a little flap that they can peak under to find the answer. That would make it interactive. And back to the recipes. You could staple a little pocket to the board and keep copies of the recipes that people can grab as they go by. And lastly, you could post the MFP website, encourage the girls to join do you all can encourage one another and create community. If they do create an account they can write their names on the board so everyone can add each other.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    When I was a freshman, I had no idea that calories really mattered that much. I thought it was all about carbs and fat. I know, I know. Dumb. So I would put something on there about calories in/calories out, just to make them aware of it.

Maybe you could also give them healthy snack suggestions, like nuts and berries, etc. That sounds lame, but honestly I was so uninformed about food and nutrition at that age that it would have been news to me.

This. While in high school, I would drink a coke for breakfast, eat pizza for lunch, drink more coke, and eat crap for dinner. I had absolutely no concept of calories in/calories out or nutrition, so naturally when I went to college I was still an ignorant twit. Also agree with healthier snack suggestions. "What, you mean there's more than just pizza and hot wings"?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Let them know there are tools like MFP out there, if they're interested in controlling their weight (for the gainers too).

You can also provide the option of assessing their regular daily calorie intake against their height/weight/activity and forecasting weight gain/loss.

It's ultimately up to them, but a lot of people don't even know where to start with weight control.
  • Veggiebeat
    Veggiebeat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Let them know how many calories are in alcohol! Not sure how your school feels about presenting info about this to underage students (assuming you're in the US), but I know at my school many freshman binge drank, some upwards of three times a week. Almost certainly contributes to the freshman fifteen.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! :) I love love love these ideas. I'll be sure to share the bulletin board with MFP when it's finished
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Everyone's else advice for food were great, but for fitness maybe this would be cool? If your school has intramurals, get all competitive with the other floors or wings in your building! Friendly rivalry, while getting active!
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I am an RA for freshmen as well, but recovering from anorexia which resurged for me when I came to college I am very careful when I do my nutrition bulletin board and I try to make it about debunking common myths about nutrition or explaining what proper nutrition is and making sure it's about balance and not diet. Also, your school most likely has a registered dietitian who would love to give you information. This is my 3rd year as an RA....enjoy it..its an amazing job!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Make sure they know about the campus gym. Have a sign up sheet and volunteer to workout with a few of them during the week in the beginning of the school year. When I was a freshmen this was best assistance I received because I was little about going to gym alone and I afraid people would stare at me----have my RA there helped a lot

This!! Plus the one about intramurals. Years later, I regret the free access I had to a gym, but rarely used (I would lift weights maybe once a week my senior year, after I took a PE class in it my junior year).

Also, the effects that stress and staying up late/not sleeping enough have on your health, in addition to everything else mentioned.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    How about a chart showing how many calories in a slice of pizza, wings and other late night snacks compared to healthier options? Something of a eat this not that type of thing. You can also plan after dinner floor walks. Plan a mile route and try to get as many people as possible.
  • marcgo2
    marcgo2 Posts: 15
    Options
    Tell the freshmen to stay away from the beer and just stick to the hard stuff j/k
  • shaff1rm
    shaff1rm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not sure how your cafeteria works, but if it's anything like mine, one card swipe gives you an entire buffet of self-serve food. Maybe a gentle reminder that just because it's all in front of you, does NOT mean you should attempt to eat it all in one sitting...