What's your resting heart rate?

Options
I was just wondering what everyone's resting heart rate is? I know it everyone's is different, but does your Resting heart rate effect your heart rate percentage when you do cardio?

My resting heart rate is 66/sec (I timed it)
When I do my cardio, ( when I time it in the middle of my workout) it's normally 180- 196 which I think is kinda high, but when I even do a slow walk it rises to about 130. Is this normal?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Mine's somewhere in the 50's.

How old are you? How do you FEEL at that high HR? As in, are you working hard but could keep going? Feeling Maximally taxed? Dizzy at all? A good benchmark for how hard you're working is that moderate cardio you could carry on a conversation and hard cardio you could only respond one or two word answers and you can't talk at all during max cardio.

I wouldn't worry about it if you feel ok and you're not having any symptoms other than the HR reading kind of high.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    slow walk should not cause a 130 hr unless you have a heart issue or are really out of shape. Talk to your dr.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Good question, last time I checked it was apparently 53. I haven't checked since the beginning of the year though. Wonder if I'm under 50 yet.
  • cinnabear22
    cinnabear22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 years old, 160 lbs. I just started exercising again a few weeks ago. I do feel like I exercise hard, if not give it my all, why do it all? I pour buckets of sweat and have to towel down everything when I'm done but I'm not dizzy or feeling sick. I couldn't carry on a conversation at all, maybe get a few words out, before gasping for air, lol. Is that normal? I feel like I am pretty out of shape, I used go be very active but then started smoking 10+ years, I've quit now for about 4 months, it could just be that my lungs aren't that great?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    You're fine, we're about the same. Haven't checked recently, but some months ago had around 60. Brisk walking can but you at 130hr.

Eta: Okay, the talking shouldn't be difficult unless you're running/jogging. Just work on your breathing. It's possible you're just not breathing 'effectively'. I'm 34 and 120. Maybe it's because you were inactive. You'll adjust.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    between 60 and 64
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Just checked it... mine is 56. But then, it was always low, even when I was overweight, so I don't put much stock into it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 years old, 160 lbs. I just started exercising again a few weeks ago. I do feel like I exercise hard, if not give it my all, why do it all? I pour buckets of sweat and have to towel down everything when I'm done but I'm not dizzy or feeling sick. I couldn't carry on a conversation at all, maybe get a few words out, before gasping for air, lol. Is that normal? I feel like I am pretty out of shape, I used go be very active but then started smoking 10+ years, I've quit now for about 4 months, it could just be that my lungs aren't that great?

I think it's just high because you're new to exercise after a long break and coming back from being a smoker. Give it some time, keep up the good work, and it will come down. Slow down if you ever feel dizzy or otherwise strange.

Another good way to gauge your fitness level is how quickly your HR comes down after you stop intense exercise. The fitter you get, the more quickly it will come down. Not really relevant to your question, just a related tidbit of info for you.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Hovers around 86. It's because of my thyroid medication though and having PVCs. I hate starting my workouts with already hitting 120 within a few seconds of a light jog or jumping jacks :/. Doing any type of exercise I hit in the 190s to very low 200s
  • cinnabear22
    cinnabear22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ive been using the elliptical machine. I love jogging but my knee doesn't appreciate it very much. It is hard to breath sometimes, well not exactly but it's hard to take deep breaths. I haven't tried to check my HR after I stop exercising (great idea!) however I do make sure to end my workouts with a 10 minute walk in the treadmill about 4mph, so I can cool down a little bit. Also, what would be a warm up for the elliptical? Just to use it slowly? Or should I warm up on he treadmill?
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Your cool down is 4mph?! Wow! 6mph is a fast sprint for me on my treadmill. I couldn't imagine doing 4mph as a cool down. I usually have 2mph set for my cool down. Then again, my inseam is only 27" so I always have to double up my pace to keep up with everyone just in walks.

What about warming up with some mountain climbers before using the treadmill? Or some steam engines? Anything to move your knees into a similar rotation. Even sitting on floor and doing some bicycles?
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    In November 2012 my RHR was 117! and now its 68 - 72 :)
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    just checked mine, it's 57. 10 pounds ago it was 65. interesting!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Mine, which i just counted for 60 seconds is 45 BPM. With that said, I do some intense cardio sessions.. Spinning, trail running, hiking, stair mater, etc.

I am attaching a link from the Spinning.com website. I think you will find it helpful and interesting. It not only gives a range but explains the benefits of working out within certain ranges...pretty cool!

As far as your heart rate going to 130 BPM while walking if you are walking at a quick pace and up hills, it is completely realistic that your heart rate could be in the range.

Give your lungs time to heal, shed old damaged lining and to regain some lost elasticity from the damage done by smoking. Increase the foods you eat that are rich in vitamin c as vitamin C helps rebuild tissue and helps stimulate collagen formation, all what you need right now with your lungs trying to heal. By the way, congratulations on quitting, probably the single best thing you did for your health!

http://www.spinning.com/en/energy_zone_chart
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Age 38 and RH is ~42 bpm
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering what everyone's resting heart rate is? I know it everyone's is different, but does your Resting heart rate effect your heart rate percentage when you do cardio?
    Yes, sort of. Depends on which formula one uses. I've always used one similar to one described here: http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Your-Target-Heart-Rate
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Resting: 50-70

Moderate intensity: 150
    High intensity 170