2 week Liquid diet after dental surgery

Options
LisaMoxon155
LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
edited June 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Ive been told i need to go and have dental surgery where im going to have stiches in my mouth; therefore not allowed to talk for 2/3 days and then follow a very very soft food and liquid diet for 2 weeks
Ive been advised not to restrict my calorie intake . I understand this, as i know your body needs to be able to repair itself.
So my question is
Do i set my weight loss/calorie intake to maintain for those 2 weeks or just see how i feel and eat and record whatever i eat and not worry about calorie until after??

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I would plan and monitor intake from the start.
  • LisaMoxon155
    Options
    Im.going to prep soups/smoothies.
    My OH has even said he will have excatly same as me for the 2 weeks
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Ive been told i need to go and have dental surgery where im going to have stiches in my mouth; therefore not allowed to talk for 2/3 days and then follow a very very soft food and liquid diet for 2 weeks
    Ive been advised not to restrict my calorie intake . I understand this, as i know your body needs to be able to repair itself.
    So my question is
    Do i set my weight loss/calorie intake to maintain for those 2 weeks or just see how i feel and eat and record whatever i eat and not worry about calorie until after??

I would try to log it all because you will probably be considerably too low on calories for at least a few days and you will be playing catch-up as you feel more comfortable eating. I don't think it really matters how you set your calorie goals because it is only 2 weeks. I also suggest using "Today's Food Notes" to mark the start and end of this event so if you ever look back you will see why you ate the way you did. I would also use it if you forget to log a few days.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I would plan and monitor intake from the start.

Yup, and have some high cal and low cal recipes with ingredients on hand so that late in the day you can adjust for how much you have had so far.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I would aim for maintenance while recovering. If you’ve been told not to restrict calories, doesn’t that mean not to eat at a deficit, and eat at maintenance?

Agree with the high- cal ingredients/ recipes. May help hit your target if you aim for higher-cal stuff while not eating as you normally do.

Good luck... sounds like a challenging time!
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have done this before .... I continued as normal but turned everything into soup by blending it with stock

somethings work well ... baked potato, with griddles chicken and corn soup ... somethings didnt work, so well - pastrami, and coleslaw sandwich ... desserts just tasted like baby food (oh didnt use stock, used milk or juice

• LisaMoxon155
    Options
    I would aim for maintenance while recovering. If you’ve been told not to restrict calories, doesn’t that mean not to eat at a deficit, and eat at maintenance?

Agree with the high- cal ingredients/ recipes. May help hit your target if you aim for higher-cal stuff while not eating as you normally do.

Good luck... sounds like a challenging time!

Yes i think it does lol, sound like eat atba maintance
    Sometimes you get so much info from medicial people, it sometimes isnt so clear at the time
  • LisaMoxon155
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    I have done this before .... I continued as normal but turned everything into soup by blending it with stock

somethings work well ... baked potato, with griddles chicken and corn soup ... somethings didnt work, so well - pastrami, and coleslaw sandwich ... desserts just tasted like baby food (oh didnt use stock, used milk or juice

Trial and error i guess.
    Im enjoying smoothies and soup at min so can do that.
    Dont mind jelly either.
    But just might listen to my body. And eat and not stress
    I might in pain to care what my calories are!!
  • LisaMoxon155
    Options
    Thanks to everyone
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have no words of wisdom but just wanted to wish you the best of luck for this surgery and a speedy recovery to you. I could likely survive the liquid diet knowing it's short term. But not talking for a few days would be next to impossible for me. Lol.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    in 2016 i had all my upper teeth pulled. in 2017 my lower teeth. thanks genetics. :/

youll be fine. i didnt try to restrict anything. i dont know what kind of procedure youre having but its really not that bad, especially if you are having implants or dentures done. the first couple of days are the worst, but you really dont feel like eating anyways. youll learn what you can and cant manage. i ate a lot of soup, and peaches with cottage cheese. but even super soft meats are possible (think meatloaf).

as far as talking goes, i was fine (after the novacane wore off lolol)
  • LisaMoxon155
    Options
    Yes im sure ill be fine . Just i know ill work myself up before hand . Thinking going to be worse than it actually will be.

As you say ill probally wont want to eat much anyway but ill.gp with the flow
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    /quote]

Im not having my teeth pulled. My teeth are healthy but im losing bone in my top and bottom jaw. Got to have something called "flap surgery" where they cut gums ,pull gums back and then fill with "pretend bone" then sitich it back up

You have my sympathy. I hope your surgery goes perfectly and the two weeks go by fast. Please let us know how it goes.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    In this context, "don't restrict calories" means "you're not going to be hungry, eat whatever you're comfortable consuming."
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Best of luck and hope all goes well. Your body will be recovering and healing. Make some things in advance and log everything but don’t go overboard on restricting or trying for a calorie deficit.
  • LisaMoxon155
    Options
    i think ill take day off work before and shop and prep for say the first week and then for second week ill prep end of first week.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest keeping cream and full fat Greek yogurt in the house to add to your soups and smoothies for extra calories.

My favourite soup was roasted red pepper and black bean.