Pre workout drinks

Options
cxeex
cxeex Posts: 121 Member
Are they any good? Worth the hype?
Due to work, I go the the gym late in the afternoon so thinking of trying this to given that extra boost to smash my workout.

Replies

• h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    they are a mix of LOTS of caffine ie 300mg+ (thats like 4 strong coffees), most have 3-5g of creatine in them. Most have beta alanine in them which makes you tingle and a lot have NO in them to give you a pump .... ALL they other stuff is a mix of supplements that are unlikely to do anything

are they worth it ??? ..... to me yes, it motivates me at 4am .... others, maybe not, do you really need 4 coffees at lunch time to motivate you ?

its your call
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I have never tried a pre workout but I also work out late afternoon (4:45 or so) after work and I find if i eat a snack in the afternoon it’s helps a lot
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I get up at 530 am to take a 715 or 730 am class. I either drink a smoothie or take a chocolate milk along. I'm not hungry when I wake up but since i'm not eating until 9 something when I get to work, I need something in the tank.

I used to have a slightly different schedule and ate a banana on the way or nothing. There were times I just packed a string cheese for after, eating nothing before.

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Most of them are a mix of caffeine, B vitamins, and some kind of nitric oxide booster. Effective, but pricey. I like Garden of Life's SPORT Energy + Focus personally, but I usually tell people to just go the cheap route and drink a coffee alongside a banana or other piece of small fruit about an hour before they go workout.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Most have a lot of caffeine, I have to hunt down ones that don't have caffeine. If you work out later in the day you may want to look for one that either doesn't have caffeine, or is at least low in caffeine. I drink my pre-workout about 30 minutes before my morning run and it does give me a bit of a boost.