Fruit Street or Weight Watchers

Options
My health insurance company says that I'm eligible to participate in a National Diabetes Prevention Program to help me lose weight and reduce the risk of catching diabetes. I previously did a similar program--Retrofit--and I did not succeed. There are about ten different programs offered. I've narrowed it down to two: Weight Watchers and Fruit Street. Weight Watchers is in-person. Fruit Street is online and is conducted with by videoconference. At Fruit Street, the part that I like is that the coaches are registered dietitians. Which one should I pick?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    why not use MFP the way its designed to be used and not a short term fix that may or may not have long lasting results?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I applaud you for your efforts to get a grip on your health. Kudos to your health provider for being proactive. I had not heard of Fruitstreet so I did a quick browse of their website. Both Weight Watchers and Fruitstreet are conservative evidence based weight loss programs. (So is MFP).

Both would provide value.

Have you had a good think why Retrofit failed? I’ll go out on a limb and suggest a couple possibilities.

Sometimes the meal planning is too restrictive. If you are having to restock your entire pantry to stick to the meal plan chances are you will rebel at some point and go back to the old favourites.

Lack of accountability. If there is no one checking in, it is very easy to let things slide. Are you better with in person accountability? Then Weight Watchers might be better for you. If you prefer online, try Fruitstreet.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    why not use MFP the way its designed to be used and not a short term fix that may or may not have long lasting results?

When I follow MFP, I lose weight. However, I have not been able to get myself to regularly follow the calorie limitations.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    I liked the in person accountability of WW when I did it in the 90s. If my employer was paying for it, I would likely do it again.