True weight gain vs true weight loss

Options
I know people talk about gaining 3 pounds in a day or a weekend and it's really water weight from a variety of reasons and not "true" weight gain.
So what about weight loss? When you have a whoosh, is the new low actually true loss or can you be a lower weight for other non permanent reasons (like being dehydrated as opposed to gaining water weight)?
I tend to stay the same weight for 2 weeks and then have a drop, but I'm never sure whether to celebrate the new low or wait around a few days to see if it "sticks" :smile:

Replies

• rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I celebrate a whoosh even though I usually end up being about 1 pound heavier than for a true weigh in. In the end it's still 2lbs lost. By yeah, my whooshes don't usually stick/is not all fat.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    I use a trending app and totally get that weight loss isn't linear and it fluctuates and all that.
    I'm more just curious about people's opinion - if we don't beat ourselves up for a temporary spike because of water weight, should we also not celebrate a whoosh? Or is a whoosh actual weight loss while a spike after a few beers or salty foods or big workout just a temporary thing?

This is why I only weigh myself once a week, on the same day in the morning. Because I know if I weigh myself every day or multiple times a day the weight will fluctuate because of other factors and not actual weight loss. Weighing myself weekly I have never gained weight during this weight loss journey even during my period (or at least the scales haven't gone up, I know my weight will have gone up and down during that week) every weighing in day I've lost 2lb (the odd time it's been 1lb) but always a loss. And then I can celebrate knowing it's more likely to be an actual weight loss.

I get where you're coming from though, we're quick to celebrate any weight loss for no matter what reason, but any gain, even if it's the same reason as the weight loss (water weight etc) we're told don't worry about it, it'll change, it's just water weight. If it's a big deal when we lose it, then it should be a big deal when we gain it too.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    When you have a large deficit and sufficient reserves to fuel it with you may well observe this consistency.

When both the conditions are not met it is far from uncommon for people to experience a greater weekly fluctuation
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    When I was losing and sure I was in a deficit every day, I only recorded new lows instead of worrying about using a trending app to average things out. The rate of loss comes out the same over time.

I do the same thing. It's remarkable how linear my weight loss is when I only record lows.

Since typically my previous lows were under optimal conditions (just peed, plenty of sleep, not retaining water, etc.) the new lows usually represent a real fat loss. The only exception would be if I were sick or something which caused me to be dehydrated. For example, I once had a stomach flu which caused me to lose several pounds, and once I was rehydrated I regained the weight and it took several weeks to get down to the same weight again.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I do once a week, same time, because the ups and downs of “ate Chinese food last night, gained 3 lbs,” “ran 5 miles in 88 degree heat, lost 2 lbs” make me a little batty. Not sure whether my Wednesday 7 am weigh ins are always “true,” but the pattern over time is legit.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I used to consider my new lows as the real weight which I used to track my loss rate. It doesnt really matter if it is the lows or the average so long as it is a consistent choice.
    My new lows used to only show once (at most twice) a month in a big woosh.
  • takemetosingapore19
    takemetosingapore19 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think 5+ lb is more than water so any time I see a drop or gain that big I know it’s more than a normal fluctuation.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    When I was actively losing I would consider them "previews" till they became established a week, or two, or four later!

This^^ I never trust them unless they stick around for a couple of weeks. Sometime though, I know I'm due. I haven't seen the scale move in something like 3 weeks and I know I'm in deficit. Then one day, I just can't be that far from a bathroom for a few hours. I think, "finally!"
  • Deluzionz
    Deluzionz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When we lose water weight is actually all 100% water?? I see big flucation from my morning weigh in to mid morning weigh in after my morning run.. Is actually pure water? I have this theroy that probably 80 - 90% is just water but if we are hydrating huge with water then sweating it out during activity how can none of it be fat? Even if its just a small percent of fat.. Please help
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Deluzionz wrote: »
    When we lose water weight is actually all 100% water?? I see big flucation from my morning weigh in to mid morning weigh in after my morning run.. Is actually pure water? I have this theroy that probably 80 - 90% is just water but if we are hydrating huge with water then sweating it out during activity how can none of it be fat? Even if its just a small percent of fat.. Please help

Water in our tissues, water in our stomach/bladder and points between, food partway through our digestive system: Within a day, even a few days, those are the major variations.

Does fat change within a day? Sure, but the amounts are tiny compared to those other factors, so there's no way to know how much.

Rational strategy: Don't worry about it, trust the process.

Look for changes in fat month to month, maybe week to week when a fast loss rate is still healthy.

We don't have a true scale weight, nor a true fat store. There's just a current range, and a long term trend.