Sanity Check on Numbers

Options
Okay, I have read a bazillion posts about BMR/TDEE & TDEE deficit. Put my numbers in alot of different calculators (on Scooby, myfitnessfrog, etc.) Also about 3 weeks ago, I had the BodyGem test to determine my actual BMR. It was 1530. I also got a Fitbit in mid-May. So, rather than estimate my TDEE with MFP and the others, I am using the Fitbit to get my average TDEE.

For simplicity, lets say that my TDEE is 2550 and my BMR is 1530. I have a ton of weight to lose so I can eat 1550 TOTAL calories daily and have a 1k daily deficit to lose 2 lbs a week. So, my daily exercise really doesn't come into the calculation other than contributing to my TDEE for the day.

I have really been averaging more along the lines of 1800 calories per day actually eaten.. not netted against exercise. I think that I am just wanting to be sure that this simplistic approach is fine - re, not driving my metabolism down.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're doing it correctly. If your TDEE is 2550, you'll still lose weight at 1800....so I wouldn't be too concerned about going over 1500 a bit.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    As long as you've already counted your exercise appropriately in to your TDEE, you don't need to worry about the NET. I think that's what's confusing you. If you want to log your exercise, just log it as 1 calorie since it's already been accounted for.

And I fully agree with this, too:
    If your TDEE is 2550, you'll still lose weight at 1800....so I wouldn't be too concerned about going over 1500 a bit.
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    Is the only way to raise my BMR by adding lean body mass??
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Is the only way to raise my BMR by adding lean body mass??

Yeah, for the most part.

Assuming you don't have a medical condition like thyroid disease suppressing your BMR and it's not suppressed by low-cal or yo-yo dieting. If you have a long history of that kind of metabolic abuse, you will be able to raise it just by eating more.
  • katelynal
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful replies! I have lost 50-60 pounds 3 times in the last 10 years so I am sure that isn't good. I was dieting then as opposed to changing my lifestyle so I believe I have the tools now to do this and keep it off for good. I :heart: MFP.
  • ALLENFLO
    ALLENFLO Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Everything you are using to calculate is just an estimate. YES EVEN THE FITBIT. It is not a perfect tool.

You need to use all of the information you receive from Fitbit and your calorie counting to decide what YOUR body is doing.

Everyone is different and their bodies respond different to stimulus. You need to constantly adjust.

I suggest you run with a certain calorie count based on "whatever" for a week or two, and then lower or raise it based on your results.

You have to start at a base and then adjust as to what your body does, period...

Good Luck.
  • katelynal
    Options
    Yes, everything is an estimate/best guess! Sometimes that can be maddening. I'm not trying to second guess myself. So far things have gone well - i have lost 49 pounds since April 9th. i get a progress report weekly from Fitbit that shows total calories burned (an estimate) and total calories eaten from my MFP diary. Since the calorie deficit I am seeing there isn't as high as my corresponding weight loss, it would appear that my calories burned estimate is running a bit low. I am definitely not logging food I haven't eaten :laugh: I realize that in the beginning that extra loss was probably from water weight. In a fit of common sense, I realize that I need to exercise more if I would like to eat more calories on an ongoing basis.
  • missability
    Options
    Everything you are using to calculate is just an estimate. YES EVEN THE FITBIT. It is not a perfect tool.

You need to use all of the information you receive from Fitbit and your calorie counting to decide what YOUR body is doing.

Everyone is different and their bodies respond different to stimulus. You need to constantly adjust.

I suggest you run with a certain calorie count based on "whatever" for a week or two, and then lower or raise it based on your results.

You have to start at a base and then adjust as to what your body does, period...

Good Luck.

^^^^^This This AND THIS!!!

Especially the part about picking a "set point"....following it for a week or 2, then "tweaking" based on results....Tweaking has been the key to my success since the beginning....what works for some does not work for all...some need more carbs, some more proteins, etc etc.....I also think the quality of WHAT you eat is just as important to weight-loss...and in the long run...MORE important when it comes to health.....Hugzzz Girl, you are doing great!