Finding the right balance when you have depression

Hi all, I was off anti-depressants for over 2 years during which time i shifted a lot of weight and felt my best physically. I've recently gone back on meds and have gained almost a stone in a matter of months! Has anyone experienced the same when on anti-depressants? Any advice is much appreciated x x

Replies

• Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Anti-depressants increase appetite, but they don't create a need for a calorie increase. It's very normal for people to gain weight on them because of their increased appetite. With that said, if your logging your calories accurately, you should be able to control this so that you don't gain weight. I'm sure that there is much more struggle to stay in maintenance or at a deficit when on these medications, but it can be done.

It may be helpful for you to search for a mental health group here, as well as discuss in this forum. I wish you much luck and success in managing your mental health :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Not all anti-depressants increase appetite. Have you tried Wellbutrin?
  • eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Not all anti-depressants increase appetite. Have you tried Wellbutrin?

I used to be on Wellbutrin. I never noticed a change in my appetite but supposedly it suppresses appetite in some people. So, if you're experiencing a lot of hunger it could be worth a try.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Hi all, I was off anti-depressants for over 2 years during which time i shifted a lot of weight and felt my best physically. I've recently gone back on meds and have gained almost a stone in a matter of months! Has anyone experienced the same when on anti-depressants? Any advice is much appreciated x x

My sympathies.

Can you tell us what your activity levels were like when off the antidepressants, when depressed, and when on the meds?