Points to ponder for weighloss

Options
JoeCWV
JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
I am in my late 50's and beginning it early 2013 till November 2013 I lost 70 pounds and have maintained my weight since that time. I am stating this as my "qualification" to lay out some truth to this weight loss thing. It all comes down to 4 things.

1. Throw away your calender
2. Small changes over time.
3. It really is just CICO
4. You don't need to exercise (but probably should)

1. Throw away your calendar: By this I mean don't put deadlines or limits on your weight loss plan. You didn't gain the weight in two months, or six months or whatever, so stop trying to lose on a schedule. Set you MFP to lose .5 pounds a week. Yeah that's what I said. This will be a very modest weight loss rate, and if you eat under the calories each day (I did when I was losing) the rate will be faster. But, with the bar set so low it will be easy to stay within goal thus making the weight loss easier and more likely to be successful (you will need to adjust your calories every ten pounds).

2. Small chages over time: Setting MFP to lose .5 pounds a week is an example. Other examples are eating healthier, drinking more water, eating more fruits and vegetables, adding exercise. Your first small change will be setting your calorie goal and sticking to it. As you get good at that then consider changes to improve health and nutrition.

3. It really is CICO: If you are vegan, vegetarian, a meat and potatoes guy (this is me) or like to eat keto or low carb or low fat, then eat that way. Don't deprive yourself of the foods you always enjoyed. If you do you will set yourself up for failure. Simply make small changes. Less butter, less sweets, more vegetables, more fruit. Simply tweak your current diet to fit within your calorie goals. Drastic changes will lead to failure or yo yo effect. Small changes will lead to success.

4. You don't need to exercise (but probably should): During my weight loss period I did not add exercise until I was down about 30 pounds. As I lost weight I felt better and had more energy, so I began to exercise. And again I made small changes. Initially I walked a mile a day, then two miles, then started to run. I started by doing a one mile run/walk, then run then two miles. Currently I run 4-5 miles several times a week. I don't run if it's below 50 degrees, or raining. In the winter I hit the gym and focus on weight training. I prefer running but lift because I know I should.

Now I conclude my ramblings. It is my hope that someone beginning in weigh loss will read this and slow down focusing on the techniques of weight loss. Remember the parable of the tortoise and the hare. Be a tortoise my friends.

Replies

• mkuchma
    mkuchma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you will check this or not but wanted to say thanks for some good advice. Been an active member since June 3rd and have lost 11 pounds, but still have much to lose.
  • Athena_06
    Athena_06 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you Joe, some good advice there for me as I am just starting my journey. I have a lot to lose so have broken my goals into smaller amounts of 10kg lots, so I don't get discouraged
  • ninoratsoc
    ninoratsoc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been a member since 2013. I just checked what my weight was then - and guess what? It's the same as it is now! It has varied a few pounds up and down in the interim. However, I have discovered what I was doing wrong and I am hopeful I can make a new start and do it this time.

Where I was going wrong was following the advice of MFP and setting my calorie target at 1200 a day. Everybody is different you see and MFP is a bit of a "one-size-fits-all". I can't lose weight on 1200 calories - not even 0.5 lbs a week. I need less than 1000 cals a day - or I need to increase my exercise!

I recommend the site www.calculator.net for finding out what your true calorie intake should be. I was recommended this site by my doctor. It also tells you your BMI - which is a good measurement to track.

The thing to remember is that YOU (the person reading this) are an individual. And you need to work out what is right for you - not what works for someone else who has an entirely different age, activity levels, and body make-up from you.

I don't disagree with anything the OP says. I gave up a long time ago setting GOALS for weight loss. So many target dates came and went (at least a dozen weddings and holidays).

By all means listen to the advice and experience of others, but you must make up your own mind about what suits you best, what makes it doable for the long haul. If losing only 0.5 lbs a week is too slow for you then just up the exercise a bit - but always listen to your body but not necessarily to that little voice in your head that says "I'm too tired to exercise today".

There's a lot of trial-and-error involved. Errors are feedback, but for years I just didn't know what I was doing wrong. Now I know what my true calorie intake should be, I think it will make a huge difference and I feel more motivated now than I have in a long time.

I find filling in the report completely - even if you are over your limit - meticulously every day and printing out the final report very useful. And I like the bit where MFP says "if you carry on like today, in 5 weeks time you will weigh...." that I find quite motivational.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ^^^ THIS!

Also:
    ninoratsoc wrote: »

I find filling in the report completely - even if you are over your limit - meticulously every day and printing out the final report very useful. And I like the bit where MFP says "if you carry on like today, in 5 weeks time you will weigh...." that I find quite motivational.

Although you may find it motivational, it is a highly unrealistic stat. That guesstimate is based solely on if you were to eat the identical food in the identical quantity every single day for 5 consecutive weeks. Don't know anyone who would actually do that and, inevitably, there are the majority who *didn't* reach that projected goal five weeks down the road, which can be very discouraging because then they feel they failed, somehow.

So although it might be fun to look at, it really is a useless function, imo. :)