Cardio and weight lifting at the same time

Hey everyone

I am a male 24 years weighing 88kg ( I was 111 kg) and height is 175 cm

So basically I started exercising mainly cardio and dieting in order to lose weight which is going smooth I would say but the problem is I am starting to feel weak and my skin is lose I belive I lost muscle along the way too. Today I did a 1 hour session of weight lifting and 20 minutes of running before it.

My question is since I wanna do this right can I do cardio and weight lifting at the same time? I mean is it the optimal plan knowing that I want to lose more weight perhaps about 10 more kg and also build muscle.

Your feedbacks will be appreciated greatly. Thanks.

Replies

• whitey_71
    whitey_71 Posts: 4 Member
    This will really depend on how intense your workouts are.

However, in general hit the weights first then get some cardio in. If it's a focussed leg day skip cardio.

Ideal would be to split cardio from your weight training by training one in the AM and one in the PM...although you'd still want to skip cardio on a heavy leg day.

Here is a good article on it: https://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/cardio-after-lifting-strength-training/
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Do you mean literally at the same time (like curling dumbbells while you run)? Because no. I mean, you can, but that’s just cardio, not lifting and would probably increase your risk of injury. Do you mean in the same day? Because yes, but don’t over train. If you mean in the same program, yes. You should be doing both. They serve different purposes.

That said, you lift while you lose weight to preserve muscle. You can build muscle in a deficit if you’ve never really lifted before, but for a short period of time and in a limited capacity. Lose the fat while saving the muscle, then build the muscle. Repeat as necessary.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    ameeramy wrote: »
    Hey everyone

So basically I started exercising mainly cardio and dieting in order to lose weight which is going smooth I would say but the problem is I am starting to feel weak and my skin is lose I belive I lost muscle along the way too. Today I did a 1 hour session of weight lifting and 20 minutes of running before it.

My question is since I wanna do this right can I do cardio and weight lifting at the same time? I mean is it the optimal plan knowing that I want to lose more weight perhaps about 10 more kg and also build muscle.

If you've been weight training for quite a while (months or more), and your strength gains are slowing down or plateauing, that's one thing. But If you're truly feeling weak, you may be under-eating (losing too fast). As a rule of thumb, lose no more than 1% of your body weight per week, and than that less as you get close to goal - say, within 10-15kg or so. Feeling weak is a danger sign.
  • ameeramy
    ameeramy Posts: 6 Member
    [/quote]

If you've been weight training for quite a while (months or more), and your strength gains are slowing down or plateauing, that's one thing. But If you're truly feeling weak, you may be under-eating (losing too fast). As a rule of thumb, lose no more than 1% of your body weight per week, and than that less as you get close to goal - say, within 10-15kg or so. Feeling weak is a danger sign.
    [/quote]

Well I just started lefting yesterday so I am new at this. As for weight loss rate I would say I averaged 3.1 kg per month. I guess I will start looking more for my diet as well as I was focussing only on calories but now quality is more important to me.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Yes. everyone should do strength training AND cardio training. Doesn't necessarily matter which types of each you do, but both should be done for the health benefits.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    ^^This.
  • Neiross1
    Neiross1 Posts: 42 Member
    ameeramy wrote: »
    Hey everyone

What program are you running for your weight training, because as a novice you should be able to get stronger while dieting. Also 20 mins of running shouldn't effect your workout so you should be good with pairing them.

Best of luck.
  • Metalman224
    Metalman224 Posts: 26 Member
    There are some good posts here.
    However it depends what your goals are.
    If you are weightlifting to get stack on muscle and doing cardio for endurance, you are wanting the best of both worlds and unfortunately it doesn't quite relate to the human body.
    Don't get me wrong they are both great but if you are aiming for both you will just confuse your body as it is trying to adapt to two different extremes. This goes back to the age old sprinter Vs marathon runner.
    One is ripped, has massive leg muscles and striated muscles whereas the other is skinny/fat. But neither of them can do the others job.
    If you're new to weights all I can suggest is to train 3 days a week every second day, and do some low intensity exercises for your cardio on the days you have off ie. brisk walking, mild jogging.
    Nothing more intense than that otherwise you will hamper recovery. At least a day of complete rest is recommended where you can just relax.
    Good luck on your journey mate!
    Hope this helps.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    Yes. everyone should do strength training AND cardio training. Doesn't necessarily matter which types of each you do, but both should be done for the health benefits.

And because if you have no endurance, you'll be food when the zombie apocalypse begins, no matter how strong you are!