Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Concerned about looking even worse after weight loss

2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am in my fifties and I am not going to assault you with my before and afters. I’ve got wattles. I’ve got surplus skin i tuck in. I still look younger and healthier than I have looked in a decade. Besides, I’ve got a new spring in my step now that I’m not carrying around so many surplus pounds.

Lose the weight. The pluses are all worth it.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    At 53yo, I lost 50+ lbs and now look 10-15 years younger, so I'm told.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    @100-my friend is kind of caustic, supportive is not in his nature. I'm insecure enough to let it worry me. But you are right, it's absurd to let him stop me. He doesn't have to live in this body. And you're also right that I should focus on the health aspect, and it is the most important reason to lose weight fo sure. But there's the vain side of me that wants to not be grossed out by what I see in the mirror or embarrassed to go places.
    I was looking into trying to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time which would mean lower calorie intake but not drastically low + higher protein intake.

You'll be fine. Don't let the what ifs worry you. Go have a look at the success stories. You'll see many people who had a lot to lose who now look fantastic. I'm a little older than you but I promise you that it's doable and you'll feel much better after getting healthy.
    Eat enough protein to help offset muscle loss and don't run a huge deficit. Keep hydrated. Try to look into a beginners lifting program, you'll thank yourself later on if you start lifting now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    I lost 50+ pounds at age 59-60. For my own tastes, I looked worst part way through. There was an unfortunate stage where I still had fat, but instead of it being somewhat firm, it was squishy/floppy, conspiring with gravity to keep my skin stretched out and kind of hang-y. Not a good look. By goal weight, most of the squishy fat was gone, but my face/neck looked a little gaunt or drawn, and I still had loose skin. Over a couple of months or so, probably because of glycogen replenishment or something, my face/neck started looking more normal/healthy, and the loose skin kept shrinking into at least my 2nd year of maintenance, even at my age. At this point, I don't think I look materially different from a li'l ol' lady who's always been this weight.

I admit, I lost less weight that you will, but you're also much younger. I think you have excellent odds for results that are much better than you think . . . and very, very much better than your friend thinks.

My point is, you won't really know what your results will be until you get to goal weight, and give it some time beyond, so don't stress too much about it along the way. You will look better overall, for sure.

I agree with others that most people look younger. In these threads (links below), 3rd parties mention this over and over in commenting on people's before and after pictures. I think if you take a look, you'll be heartened:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1167854/photo-only-success-stories
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10207059/before-and-after-face-edition
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    I don't believe in dieting or dropping it like it's hot. Think gentle changes for the permanent win. I released 100 lbs. over the course of 2 years. I started in 2014.

Pain is the precursor to change.

When the pain intensifies and it does, painful knees, feet, back, shoulders, joints and the signs of T2 - diabetes - start knocking at your door, you'll want change and you may be tempted to go at it fast. Rapid weight loss gimmicks, powders, food group elimination diets disguised as 'this is not a diet' but they are a very much a diet just wrapped up with more slick marketing tricks. All of these are a mind and body warp.

All of these diets are a total disconnect for the brain.

There are a million weight loss books and eating protocols out there. Every single one of them promises you the miracle cure. Remember: Just because someone rephrases all of the old dieting terms with new words, it's still walking and quacking like a diet.

Doing things you don't want to do all in the name of weight loss is the recipe for eating it all back.

What your friend wants and thinks is immaterial at this point. Not everyone has our best interest at heart. Know that going in and all through the process. What do you want today and going forward for the rest of your life.

If you want it...let nothing deter you. Let them eat your dust.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    I would rather be able to run like I can now, shop in any store I wish, keep up with my kids, be able to jump up and go without pain or aches, etc than look a little less wrinkly. What is the point of looking young if I can't *do* anything because of my weight? You lose weight but gain a life!