2»

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    livmae14 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Rocbola wrote: »
    You are best off adding calcium to your diet through greens, not cheese.

Why?

Animal based calcium is acidic to the body and actually leaches calcium from the bones causing osteoporosis. Plant based calcium is absorbed by the body more easily and is alkaline in the body. Plus dairy is nasty and SCARY.

Um. No. That is not how bone remodeling works.

And while I agree that conventional dairy (grain fed cattle living in a CAFO) is pretty awful, dairy in and of itself is not inherently bad.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So I've recently been told that I have a calcium deficiency and looking back at my daily I really don't get enough (I have milk but don't really like cheese or yoghurt).

Anyway I've just purchased some reduced fat salad cheese to have on a salad but when I scan it it states that there is no calcium. Is there anyway I can find this out? I've searched for the product online but it doesn't give me this info either.

Thanks in advance

Cheese itself won't fix a calcium deficiency. Definitely look into supplemental gummies or vitamins of some sort. As for the discrepancy, a lot of stuff is added by users and is not able to be edited. Search the brand and item name or barcode and click around until you find one with all nutritional information input. Or add it yourself into the database.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    We are the only mammals on earth who drink growth fluid for a baby cow. It's definitely not a natural part of the human diet. Greens will give you the calcium you need. Also, make sure you are not drinking coffee or other foods that inhibit calcium absorption. Vitamin C helps absorb the calcium in the greens. So if you have a smoothie, add orange juice for vitamin c and calcium, and spinach or kale or other greens for even more calcium. Also almonds, beans, blackstrap molasses, and soy are great source of calcium.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    live2dream wrote: »
    We are the only mammals on earth who drink growth fluid for a baby cow. It's definitely not a natural part of the human diet. Greens will give you the calcium you need. Also, make sure you are not drinking coffee or other foods that inhibit calcium absorption. Vitamin C helps absorb the calcium in the greens. So if you have a smoothie, add orange juice for vitamin c and calcium, and spinach or kale or other greens for even more calcium. Also almonds, beans, blackstrap molasses, and soy are great source of calcium.

And? We are also the only mammals on earth that cook our food. Make and eat candy. Drink coffee.

And for the record, some leafy greens, like spinach, contain oxalic acid which actually inhibits the absorbtion of calcium from the exact food you are eating to try to get calcium. Not all, but some. So, yes, it is true that some foods do essentially block some of the calcium, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't consume them either apart or together. If your diet is rich in calcium from various sources you will absorb what you need.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    live2dream wrote: »

But whoever heard of breast milk.... Milk and dairy are a part of a natural human diet. Yes we don't make all the dairy we consume from human breast milk, but animals cross paths too with their milk consumption, like if 1 type of animal takes in another species and feeds it and raises it.