What would you recommend to this girl? (its me a few years ago)

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    With those stats a healthy weight range should be 125-163 lbs. 187 lbs is still considered overweight. The weight you feel good and happy might not be the lowest weight.

Yeah, I was definately still overweight. I've spent my life being at the highend of the healthy range, and I mostly looked okay.
    What does looking healthy mean to you? You did not look very athletic but did not look like you were about to keel over.

Yeah, I've been cursed with unusually low muscle tone. Would be interesting to see how long it would take me to get to a good level.
    If you are above that weight then it is a goal to shoot for. Make a decision as you get closer as your body will not be exactly the same as it was years ago.

My torso has changed since having personal training, less rolls, more definition (while still being big bellied).
    If you want a more muscular appearance than you will need to incorporate strength training into your plan. Don't wait until you get to that weight to start.

I don't think I enjoy strength training unfortunately.

I don't enjoy flossing, but I do it anyway ;)

What do you not like about strength training?
    1. Have you had at least a few sessions with a personal trainer? Some people don't like it because they don't know what they are doing.
    2. I liked lifting less when I thought I was supposed to do low weights and high reps because "bulky". Turns out I like high weights/low reps better and am in no danger of getting bulky, lol.
    3. I see you have been working with a personal trainer so am wondering if they are doing typical chick weight lifting with you. If so, bring up The New Rules of Lifting for Women with them.
    4. I also liked lifting less when I tried to do cardio in the same session. Both suffered, esp lifting.

Don't be like my mom and not pick up strength training until you are in your 70s and have brittle bones :)

Strength training- I don't like those circuits you do where you mix cardio and strength, for example, doing runs, kettlebell swings, crawls etc... I think I like simple moves where I feel in control. I don't like awkward. I'm no longer seeing a personal trainer, as I can't afford it, and think I would get more value for money doing my own thing (for now anyway). Plus, after my workout sessions with a trainer, I used to binge.

I wouldn't like that either. I like to simply pick up heavy things and put them down. Slowly. While listening to a kick-@ss heavy metal playlist and focusing on my breathing.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I also have trouble holding the bar against my back. I've been told to hold it against my chest instead. I hate it.

What kind of trouble? And who told you that?
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    you look to me like you are a potential athlete in the making.

yeah you are carrying more weight than ideal for performance, BUT, you are not that far away from where you could be, its a good starting place to see immediate progress in asthetics AND performance.

Become a triathlete ... take up running, swimming and cycling
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Strength training can be many different things--research it. I think you could find something that you could manage to do, if you want to. As for your picture. I'm 63. I find it useless to moon over past photos of myself, because I can't go back there. I have changed and my life has changed. I try to be the best I can be where I'm at now. I look at myself and see what I've got to work with and try to make it better. Living in the past can make you crazy. Good luck and just be the best you can be.