Curious

Options
I inadvertently fasted from about 730pm Friday night to today and still have yet to break it. (why Ty, depression.) that being said, I now weight in at 138 when I was at 141.6. How much will come back once I start eating again since it was probably a lot of water weight that slid off.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nobody can answer for sure. Maybe some, maybe all, maybe more.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I will take a guess even though I agree I don't know for sure. I assume your daily allowance is more than 1750 and less than 3500, so you will probably lose between a half pound and a pound if you don't make up for it.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I will take a guess even though I agree I don't know for sure. I assume your daily allowance is more than 1750 and less than 3500, so you will probably lose between a half pound and a pound if you don't make up for it.

I have a daily budget of 1430. I didn't intend to fast. It was more I got up and my depression stole away my appetite and farked off to parts unknown with it leaving me feeling like crap but not actually hungry. I'm still not actually hungry truth be told.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My guess would be 1-2# gained back, depending on how your calories have been for weight loss. Don't feel horrible about it because it happens as bodies are derpy derps. I totally empathize as I have depression, except I eat when depressed.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    My guess would be 1-2# gained back, depending on how your calories have been for weight loss. Don't feel horrible about it because it happens as bodies are derpy derps. I totally empathize as I have depression, except I eat when depressed.

I've been on a .5 lb/week goal since I'm within 10lbs of reaching my goal weight.

Ye Gods and little fishes, I cannot wait until later this year when I can go to a doctor and start getting treated for this dreck. It's sucked for the last few years not being able to get treatment, let me tell you.

• AndrewWhite53
    AndrewWhite53 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    In my opinion minuscule changes in weight aren't something to be overly concerned about. There are some times that I too fast for longer than 24-36 hours and I will lose weight (3-8 lbs) . However, when I return to my proper eating I gain all the weight back.

These rapid weight shifts in my opinion are mostly in part to the water content in your muscles.

Food is energy right? Carbs and protein have 4 kcal/gram. Fat 9 kcals/gram. When you eat anything, the body takes it in and decides what to do with it all. It decides what to store for later, what to use for energy right then, and it decides what to dispose of. Carbohydrates that aren't immediately used for energy are stored as glycogen in the muscles and liver (about 2/3 of it is stored in the muscles, and about 1/3 in the liver). Glycogen is the storage form of glucose. When the body needs energy, it breaks down the glycogen which produces ATP, the energy currency. So when you begin to fast, your body is required to keep all your systems running by powering them with ATP. At rest, the oxidative system burns carbs and fats found in the liver, blood, and muscles. This is the low power system that can pull a steady supply of energy from all throughout the body. Now add in any physical activity / exercise and we have other energy systems which aren't so storage-friendly. These are the creatine-phosphagen system and the glycolytic system. These burn large amounts of creatine, glycogen, and thus ATP.

All of this was just to help you understand a little bit about how the body supplies itself with energy from food. My main point here will make more sense in regard to your post:

In order for glycogen to be stored in the muscles, in order for you to save food energy for later--water must accompany it in the muscle. The h20 is the middle man that helps with the storage and extraction of the glycogen for energy. So when your energy pathways are chipping away at your glycogen stores, water goes with it. Each gram of glycogen storage is associated with about 3-4 grams of water!

So when you fast and you don't have any readily available food energy in your bloodstream, your body begins to use the glycogen from storage, which also causes a loss in "water weight." Most of the time when you lose this water weight, it will reflect anywhere from 1-10 lbs on the scale. While this could be frightening, you have to remember that weight is simply an arbitrary number and what really matters is body composition. If you lost 1-10 pounds with in 1-3 days I would suspect that it's mostly ALL water weight and your body fat percentage would be the same!
  • nicolehorn0114
    nicolehorn0114 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say to take care of yourself. Depression is no joke! I’ve found that meds and therapy help somewhat, but fresh air, exercise, and good nutrition are probably at least as helpful.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You weigh less because there is not much food in your gastrointestinal system.
    You probably made a deficit of around 3000cals which is less than 1lbs tissue loss.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Your digestive tract can hold a fair amount of waste when you aren't fasting. If you log the fast then check your weekly average for calories then you'll see how much you lost in real terms
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    In my opinion minuscule changes in weight aren't something to be overly concerned about. There are some times that I too fast for longer than 24-36 hours and I will lose weight (3-8 lbs) . However, when I return to my proper eating I gain all the weight back.

These rapid weight shifts in my opinion are mostly in part to the water content in your muscles.

Food is energy right? Carbs and protein have 4 kcal/gram. Fat 9 kcals/gram. When you eat anything, the body takes it in and decides what to do with it all. It decides what to store for later, what to use for energy right then, and it decides what to dispose of. Carbohydrates that aren't immediately used for energy are stored as glycogen in the muscles and liver (about 2/3 of it is stored in the muscles, and about 1/3 in the liver). Glycogen is the storage form of glucose. When the body needs energy, it breaks down the glycogen which produces ATP, the energy currency. So when you begin to fast, your body is required to keep all your systems running by powering them with ATP. At rest, the oxidative system burns carbs and fats found in the liver, blood, and muscles. This is the low power system that can pull a steady supply of energy from all throughout the body. Now add in any physical activity / exercise and we have other energy systems which aren't so storage-friendly. These are the creatine-phosphagen system and the glycolytic system. These burn large amounts of creatine, glycogen, and thus ATP.

All of this was just to help you understand a little bit about how the body supplies itself with energy from food. My main point here will make more sense in regard to your post:

In order for glycogen to be stored in the muscles, in order for you to save food energy for later--water must accompany it in the muscle. The h20 is the middle man that helps with the storage and extraction of the glycogen for energy. So when your energy pathways are chipping away at your glycogen stores, water goes with it. Each gram of glycogen storage is associated with about 3-4 grams of water!

So when you fast and you don't have any readily available food energy in your bloodstream, your body begins to use the glycogen from storage, which also causes a loss in "water weight." Most of the time when you lose this water weight, it will reflect anywhere from 1-10 lbs on the scale. While this could be frightening, you have to remember that weight is simply an arbitrary number and what really matters is body composition. If you lost 1-10 pounds with in 1-3 days I would suspect that it's mostly ALL water weight and your body fat percentage would be the same!

So.....its all gonna come back if I understand the wall of words correctly? (I haven't had coffee yet so I'm not on full brain fire.)
  • categ78
    categ78 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I’d really suggest focusing on healthy weight loss rather than this potential minuscule change

Significant lack of food and consequently significantly low blood sugar will negatively impact on both mood and wellbeing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

So.....its all gonna come back if I understand the wall of words correctly? (I haven't had coffee yet so I'm not on full brain fire.)

Not all.

All that was typical digestive system contents will come back. Most/all of what was water weight will come back. (You may even get some extra bonus water weight gain because you're stressing your body, who knows.)

If you fast for a day, and don't binge/overeat to compensate, and your TDEE (total calorie requirement that day) was 2000 calories, you'd lose roughly around 9 ounces, and a good bit (likely not all) of that would probably be fat. (Calculation: 2000 TDEE divided by roughly 3500 calories in a pound = .57142857 lost, multiply that by 16 ounces in a pound, result is 9.14285712. So, if you have an estimate of your TDEE, do the math to get a rough guess at "real" loss.)

Healthwise, it's a risk with relatively little return. Weight-loss-wise, it may set you up for a future binge. General-life-wise, it's likely to sap your energy, depress your TDEE for the duration and maybe beyond, make you moody and hard to get along with, and interfere with accomplishing anything that needs energy or a clear head. Depression-wise, I can't believe that under-nutrition is a good strategy.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    categ78 wrote: »
    I’d really suggest focusing on healthy weight loss rather than this potential minuscule change

Significant lack of food and consequently significantly low blood sugar will negatively impact on both mood and wellbeing.

My question was out of academic curiousity. I tend to either eat all my emotions or fast when I hit the depths of my depression with no in between. However, I am doing the best I can to focus on the bigger picture and not the smaller things.

My mood is already jacked so I am doing the best I can with the tools I have.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

My question was out of academic curiousity. I tend to either eat all my emotions or fast when I hit the depths of my depression with no in between. However, I am doing the best I can to focus on the bigger picture and not the smaller things.

I was a closet drinker and binge eater when really depressed. I haven't been that depressed in over a year, fortunately. Lamictal has kept me out of the depths after accepting my bp2 diagnosis (long time of denial).
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    If I remember, a 24hr fast only decreases liver glycogen by half. So you still had muscle glycogen, all according to how depleted those were. I think half would come back, but that's only a guess.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options

I was a closet drinker and binge eater when really depressed. I haven't been that depressed in over a year, fortunately. Lamictal has kept me out of the depths after accepting my bp2 diagnosis (long time of denial).

I'm having to wait to find out what my small human's school schedule is going to look like before I can do a thing about making any appointments to get therapy and meds so it's mostly about hanging on by the skin of my teeth until I can get anything done.

I know my dx, it's a matter of waiting for the opportunity to get treatment.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I'm having to wait to find out what my small human's school schedule is going to look like before I can do a thing about making any appointments to get therapy and meds so it's mostly about hanging on by the skin of my teeth until I can get anything done.

I know my dx, it's a matter of waiting for the opportunity to get treatment.

I can sort of commiserate with you on the waiting, except I'm not going to get the kind of treatment I need.
    66g0iun2hffk.gif