Is it just me?

Options
While we had the glitch between fitbit and mfp not syncing the steps I went off the rails a bit. Not massively but I barely logged yesterday and had a can't be bothered attitude.
This is the start of week 3 and weight is going ok, I don't want to lose weight fast as this time I want to keep it off so 5lb in 2 weeks with close to 7 stone to shift I am happy with but I need the back up of fitbit and mfp. Anyone else felt the same?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I didn't go off the rails, but it annoyed me so much that it's happening more often than convenient lately that I changed a whole bunch of formulas in the excel sheet I use for diet related calculations to use the calories burned as listed on MFP instead of the exercise calories I get through syncing.

Next time it happens, you could just note your maintenance calories, your Fitbit total calories, and subtract the two to get your exercise adjustment. I do feel kind of lost and annoyed when Fitbit calories don't sync despite knowing how much activity I usually average.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    MFP's food calories were in fitbit, though. When this happens, why not look at fitbit to see how many calories were left? Or am I missing something? It's very irritating when MFP has these glitches, but I'm just glad the food is still registered by fitbit.

I logged my food here, then looked at the "how many calories left to eat" or whatever in fitbit. I also know, however, that so long as it's my usual day with at least 12k steps and I stay around 2000, I'll be fine and actually under maintenance (which I just started); I have enough data to know that.

ETA: Also, on Saturday and Sunday I get between 15k and 20k steps, so I know I have even more of a buffer. Maybe you'll feel more comfortable after you have more data.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    No. Because weight loss comes from what you eat (in collaboration with what you burn, yes, but primarily through what you eat), and just because MFP doesn't know what you're burning doesn't give you a free pass to go all whole hog.

I use an Apple Watch, which never works right with MFP. So I keep a reasonable calorie deficit in MFP, and use my Watch to double check that. Is there any reason that you couldn't keep eating what you were eating before you decided the glitch was an excuse to eat more, and take a peek at your Fitbit to confirm?
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,502 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem. I was so determined not to overeat that I ended up 150 calories under.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You can see how many calories youve burned on your Fitbit. You can just do the math yourself when they are having syncing issues.
  • Devondumpling72
    Devondumpling72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    MFP's food calories were in fitbit, though. When this happens, why not look at fitbit to see how many calories were left? Or am I missing something? It's very irritating when MFP has these glitches, but I'm just glad the food is still registered by fitbit.

I logged my food here, then looked at the "how many calories left to eat" or whatever in fitbit. I also know, however, that so long as it's my usual day with at least 12k steps and I stay around 2000, I'll be fine and actually under maintenance (which I just started); I have enough data to know that.

ETA: Also, on Saturday and Sunday I get between 15k and 20k steps, so I know I have even more of a buffer. Maybe you'll feel more comfortable after you have more data.

Ah I never thought of doing it that way around! Thanks for that. It wasn't the calories left as such but more what I was earning throughout the day. You can tell I'm in newbie
  • Devondumpling72
    Options
    :lol: Okay, I have the opportunity to say..."Unplug!"

I lost all my weight with only a pedometer (un-syncing kind) and my FOOD log and for the last 20 pounds I finally bought a body weight scale and a food scale.

It doesn't require a bunch of tech, even a written food log works.

~Signed, old lady.

From another old lady, I did the same 25 years ago apart from I had no pedometer. I had a calorie book from the slimming magazine and a rowing machine. Never ate my exercise calories and ditched a load of weight. In this age with all the technology available to us I will confess it's made me lazy. I had a pad and pen and would sit and work it all out. Now it's done for me at the push of a button. I have grown used to someone else working it out for me. I'm not sure which is the better system if I'm honest.
  • Devondumpling72
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    You can see how many calories youve burned on your Fitbit. You can just do the math yourself when they are having syncing issues.

Never thought of that, I think I dipped out on common sense! Haha
  • Devondumpling72
    Options
    No. Because weight loss comes from what you eat (in collaboration with what you burn, yes, but primarily through what you eat), and just because MFP doesn't know what you're burning doesn't give you a free pass to go all whole hog.

I use an Apple Watch, which never works right with MFP. So I keep a reasonable calorie deficit in MFP, and use my Watch to double check that. Is there any reason that you couldn't keep eating what you were eating before you decided the glitch was an excuse to eat more, and take a peek at your Fitbit to confirm?

You are absolutely right and I'm pretty certain I didn't go over, it's more my attitude that was a concern than the food side of things. I have a habit that must be broken of quitting at the first hurdle. When I first wrote this the syncing still wasn't happening so reached out to the community for help and a bit of a kick into action. I didn't think to cross reference with fitbit, bit obvious now really but I know for future reference. I don't think it was an excuse to eat more because I didn't. Just attitude I guess? Now I have been armed with the tools if it happens again.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,086 Member
    Options
    Ha. You don't have to be in a good mood about weight loss 24/7.

It's hard! I don't ever want to forget that. I won't go back to weight-loss mode. It's hard and I don't want to have to do it again.