Gastric Band discussion

Hi Guys,

I have made a big decision and have started the ball rolling in having a gastric band fitted. I have done a lot of research and think it will definitely suit me but it is hard to find success stories from real people anywhere online, it seems a bit flooded by the gastric Bypass which really isn't for me.

Has anyone here had the band and what do they think of it? any complications or problems you weren't expecting? Do you recommend it? What size were you before? How quickly did you lose the weight? What were the discomfort levels?

Really grateful for any advice you can offer, I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

Jo

Replies

• cyndican
    cyndican Posts: 14 Member
    good luck
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Mari22na wrote: »
    The gastric bypass is reversible and the gastric sleeve is not.

Read through this entire blog, every post.

http://suethsayings.blogspot.com/search?q=gastric+sleeve

If at the end of the research and reading you still want one going forward know that even though 1/2 stomach will be removed it does not take away broken hunger cues. The appetite control center is located in the brain and not the stomach.

Only 7% of WLS patients maintain their weight loss after 5 years and 5% of dieters that can maintain a major weight loss after 5 years.

I don't think gastric bypass is reversible either? Lap Band definitely is. My husband has one and lost 100lbs with it. He still finds ways around it and it still overweight/clinically obese, but is in a much healthier place. He would have been dead without it. The surgery/recovery was not significant and you can add/take away saline to find the right amount.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Everything I have read about the procedure indicates that the surgery should only be performed if the risks of early death from extreme morbid obesity outweigh the risks of the surgery. The procedure impacts more than just your eating habits--it can affect relationships (there is a big risk of "bariatric divorce) and some people substitute other habits for overeating (alcohol or drug abuse). I have met 3 people in WW who had the surgery and gained most of the weight back, another whose niece had the surgery in her early thirties and died from post surgical complications and malnutrition. I researched this after a family member was told bariatric surgery was necessary due to extreme morbid obesity (over 300 lbs). After I did my due diligence, I realized that I would be much happier if the family member chose to use a healthy diet and exercise to lose some of the weight. Food is central to this person's life and I understand that my family member would be miserable living with the limits the surgery would set on food choices.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Good luck. I am not a fan of the band.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    http://suethsayings.blogspot.com/2015/09/gastric-bypass-patients-should-consider.html

"One thing I've seen happen with the sleeve, is a staple line leakage. A patient I know, had to go through multiple surgeries to fix that and included in the dark side of the sleeve, is the fact that unlike the gastric bypass, there is no way to reverse it."

http://suethsayings.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-dark-side-of-gastric-sleeve.html

https://www.sages.org/meetings/annual-meeting/abstracts-archive/laparoscopic-reversal-of-gastric-bypass-with-or-without-addition-of-a-sleeve-gastrectomy/

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    @lantana411. Wow. I am humbled by your journey.

Scary stories are not the norm. You are 100% correct, lantana. Find the best surgeon you can, get good references. That goes for any surgery you have. Do everything on your own terms and that includes surgery. WLS is a judgment free zone.

I feel honored to have you as my friend. I'm truly humbled and may your upcoming surgeries be a total success with a good recovery. <3

• cyndican
    cyndican Posts: 14 Member
    Mari22na wrote: »
    Truth. My cousin died from the gastric bypass. She was young. I have 5 more relatives still living with the gastric bypass/sleeve, 1/2 and 1/2. Another cousin with the sleeve started eating it all back within 6 months. Not one has maintained the original loss.

When my cousin died that was the catalyst for me to research everything I could get my hands on and start this journey without dieting. No more diets. I'm going back to my original factory settings. That's the overall goal now.

a reboot
  • starrrjo
    starrrjo Posts: 101 Member
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    I can understand why this procedure is attractive to people but, as others have said, it doesn't cure the root cause of over eating and why the weight went on. A friend of mine has had one and lost a lot of weight but then she had to have further painful ops to get rid of all the excess skin. Most of her weight was lost around her middle so now she's trying to lose it from her arms and legs as she looks completely out of proportion, she couldn't eat proper food which made her miserable and she was constantly hungry. The only good thing about it was that she was struggling to walk but now she can and is a lot more active.
    Good luck should you continue with it but please consider trying to do it slowly through a healthier lifestyle which will gradually change your habits.

Thank you.
    Believe me, I've tried a good 12 years of on off dieting. Had help from dietician,s medication, hypnotherapy and slimming world, weight watchers, personal trainer.
    I unfortunately have a horrible cocktail of hormone imbalances and thyroid issues which make my body hold on to it's fat so I think it will help me. I'm definitely not the type to substitute for drugs and alcohol.
  • fiftyshadesofneigh
    fiftyshadesofneigh Posts: 6 Member
    Forgot to add the gastric band can be easily adjusted if in the case you have acid reflux/constant heartburn. Do not hesitate to get that looked into if it becomes a problem.