Strong curves

Options
Just wondering what are peoples experiences with this ?

I ve been doing Stronglifts for few months but I have to lay off heavier weights for a while and a bit stuck .

I ve seen free downloads of the program but it doesn't specify weights and I dont fancy spending £20 on the book. Is it doable without the book and can anyone recommend to me where to start ?

Also what were your results like ?

I got squat rack and barbell /free weights at home so that's not the problem

Replies

• TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have done the Strong Curves program a few times and got great results and really enjoyed it. I don't think weights are specified rather just go with the usual progressive overload program.

Twenty pounds is fairly cheap in the scheme of things though. I did find a free glute challenge that might be useful to see if you like the workout style https://bretcontreras.com/30-day-glute-challenge/
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I've had fantastic experience and results with Strong Curves.

It is a bit higher rep but still employs progressive overload, so you would start with a weight you can complete all the reps with proper form, and increase weight or reps or reduce rest to progress.

I would highly recommend the book along with the program, while the physical book is best and easiest to reference, I believe you can buy an online copy for your iPad or Kindle for fairly cheap.

I have done the program without a squat rack and many modifications. I ran the programs while bulking, cutting, maintaining, a modified version while pregnant and after.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

It is a bit higher rep but still employs progressive overload, so you would start with a weight you can complete all the reps with proper form, and increase weight or reps or reduce rest to progress.

I would highly recommend the book along with the program, while the physical book is best and easiest to reference, I believe you can buy an online copy for your iPad or Kindle for fairly cheap.

I have done the program without a squat rack and many modifications. I ran the programs while bulking, cutting, maintaining, a modified version while pregnant and after.

I am looking at the pdf for Strrong Curves/Booty-ful Beginnings Workout A, B and C: Weeks 1-4, how did you spread A through C workouts to complete in 4 weeks?
  • sardelsa
    Options

I am looking at the pdf for Strrong Curves/Booty-ful Beginnings Workout A, B and C: Weeks 1-4, how did you spread A through C workouts to complete in 4 weeks?

He gives you more details in the book but you would do all three workouts each week

Day 1: Workout A
    Day 2: Cardio or rest
    Day 3: Workout B
    Day 4: Cardio or rest
    Day 5: Workout C
    Day 6: Cardio or rest
    Day 7: Rest

if you want 4x per week can do something like

Day 2: Workout B
    Day 3: Active rest or cardio
    Day 4: Workout A
    Day 6: Active rest or cardio
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    the book is great, I'm sure there are used copies on Amazon?
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options

He gives you more details in the book but you would do all three workouts each week

Day 2: Cardio or rest
    Day 3: Workout B
    Day 4: Cardio or rest
    Day 6: Cardio or rest

if you want 4x per week can do something like

Day 2: Workout B
    Day 3: Active rest or cardio
    Day 4: Workout A
    Day 6: Active rest or cardio

Thank you very much! :)
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    the book is great, I'm sure there are used copies on Amazon?

Yes I will have a look money is just a bit tight at the moment and I wondered if I can just do the workouts as there are pdfs online .

Thanks for replies everyone .
  • passenger79
    Options
    One more question does this programme help you get stronger or is it more just for aesthetics?
  • sardelsa
    Options
    While you will get stronger on the program, it is more a hypertrophy program for aesthetics vs an actual strength program.
  • passenger79
    Options
    While you will get stronger on the program, it is more a hypertrophy program for aesthetics vs an actual strength program.

Thanks for that I might try it out and do it for a while before I'm ready to start Stronglifts properly . I'll have a look at e books if its that good I'll download it and read it .
  • passenger79
    Options
    ordered a book tried reading it in ebooks on my phone but it was giving me like 7000 pages and find it hard to navigate .
    @sardelsa before I get the book I ve seen quite a few pictures showing working out with dumbbells I actually prefer barbell can I do some of the exercises with barbell instead ?
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Since you have done SL you can probably move on to the advanced program which starts with barbells, and if you want you can substitute any dumbbells for barbells. There will be variations.. so in the same week you could be doing dumbbell and barbell overhead press, back and goblet squats etc. I find it is good to have a variety of movements, the dumbbells offer a different ROM and feel, but in the end the program is very flexible to do it how you want.

The only one I would recommend, if you haven't done them before is hip thrusts and glute bridges to start off bodyweight or at most just the bar. You really want to feel your glutes activating when doing the exercise, because while you likely would be able to lift a lot of weight, even at the start, if you aren't used to the movement your legs will help you out with it and it will defeat the main purpose of the lift (which is to focus on the glutes).