elliptical vs running

I have a bit of an ouchy knee and since I have learned (the hard way) to listen to my body I think I need to lay off running for a while until the pain goes away. I could just focus on cycling (indoor and outdoor) but I was thinking about doing some time on the elliptical at the gym. I used to do elliptical trainers regularly, but went to running 8+ years ago as I felt (and I believe correctly so) that I could get a more efficient burn running. My question is, I usually burn ~350-400 cal on a 40 min run, should I figure on a 60 min elliptical session (7 or 8/10 on intensity) to get a somewhat equivalent burn?

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    YMMV but in my experience it's not quite that low. I also burn about 450 calories on a 40 minute run (about 4.5 miles) and my elliptical burn is usually around 8 or 9 calories per minute or so.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I can only offer you my anecdata that I burn about 120 cals in 20 minutes on an elliptical and maybe 250-275 on a 35 min 5k. I'm 5'5 and weigh around 130, in decent shape. If you turn up the resistance on the elliptical you will get a good burn going.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Do you have access to a pool? Swimming gets a good workout and gently builds the strength again while the joints recover.
    A woman at my Y that does marathons had to limit herself to swimming for a while due to a compression fracture in her leg.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Do you have access to a pool? Swimming gets a good workout and gently builds the strength again while the joints recover.
    A woman at my Y that does marathons had to limit herself to swimming for a while due to a compression fracture in her leg.

Yep, swam in middle, high school and a year in college. Swim fairly regularly still, but its hard to get excited about it any more.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    If I purposefully engage the arms a lot more, kind of leaning back, and keep the same pace, I think I get more of a burn than running but it is short lived; I can't do it for long. Makes a good interval to up average burn some.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    It depends on the elliptical you use, and how you use it. As for the knee pain, probably better than running through that, but for me biking is easier on my joints if I'm sore or have pain in any area. YMMV of course.

We have a Precor elliptical at home, and it spits out a "miles" reading. It is not based simply on stride rate and speed, but also power, and is intended to be a "miles equivalent" in power output. Even though I've used that machine a lot at times, I can generally do a faster actual pace running with the same effort. It might have to do with having a fixed (elliptical) vs variable (actual running) stride length.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    I did 40 mins on the elliptical last night and my quads felt like I got a decent burn. RPE was a bit off because I was, of course, inside vs being outside (in Florida humidity) running. But I got what I needed: an aerobic workout while taxing my knee lightly. I do plan on biking as well, I just needed a short-term fill in for running (might not be so short term after all).
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Elliptical is a decent substitute, have you considered swimming as another option for low impact on the joints.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    0ysterboy wrote: »
    I did 40 mins on the elliptical last night and my quads felt like I got a decent burn. RPE was a bit off because I was, of course, inside vs being outside (in Florida humidity) running. But I got what I needed: an aerobic workout while taxing my knee lightly. I do plan on biking as well, I just needed a short-term fill in for running (might not be so short term after all).

We do what we have to when injured. Congrats on getting in the 40 mins. I'm nursing an injury too and haven't run since June 2 and am really missing it, heat and humidity and all.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I burn way more on the elliptical than I do running according to my apple watch.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    This is exactly what I do when I have a knee flare-up. Pretty much equal time to running.