Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

This might be a stupid question but...

Can somebody please explain to me pre & post workout snacks? Like is there any significant reason people have like a "pre-workout shake"? Am I missing something here?

Replies

• I make sure I'm not too hungry or too full before a workout, then try to have some protein after, especially I I've hit the weights hard. I don't know why . . . I guess I just do it, because it's the done thing (and I'm usually hungry after a good work out.)

The shakes and stuff are for marketing/sales, I think, although I'm sure many disagree.
  • Bridgetthegre
    Bridgetthegre Posts: 85 Member
    It depends on what your workout is. Are you headed to zumba class, or are you an endurance athlete headed for a killer 3 hour workout?
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    My hubby likes to have the pre- and post workout shakes. Me, not so much. His goal is to bulk up and build muscle, though, so I think that is what the protein in those shakes is intended to help with (muscle repair and growth). If you are aiming to lose weight without heavy lifting, I don't really see the shakes being necessary - unless you have trouble obtaining your daily recommended protein from your diet.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    You need to take protein supplements right after every workout or you'll go catibolic and your muscle will dissolve and turn into fat

notsrs

i train fasted all the time, so I don't eat before workouts. I do like to eat after workouts though, cuz i feelhungryman. As long as you're hitting the calories you need, then you'll be fine.
  • Personally, I like to do a pre workout snack to give me energy before I workout (30-60 mins before). An apple w/peanut butter for example bc it raises your blood sugar naturally.
    Post workout it's important to have protein within the hour. I usually have some kind of protein shake. This is to rebuild your muscles.