Replies

• lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    LOL!
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love that you care this much about your friend, and that she's not fooled by this either. :heart: [/quote]

She's been struggling with her weight her whole life, and I want her to be successful. I read the study on some of the folks who participated in the Biggest Loser. It's extreme, of course--that's the whole point. You can't have a tv show about people losing a pound a week :smile: But it sounds like once you screw up your metabolism, it's REALLY hard to get it back to normal. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-years-after-the-biggest-loser-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/
    meow123393 wrote: »
    I am eating keto and losing weight pretty quickly. My doctor suggested eating only 500 calories a day 3x a week for a few weeks, then 2x a week for a month, then once a week for however long I wish. It's not unheard of. I haven't tried it though but it won't kill you. Just wouldnt do it every single day. On a normal day I eat 1200-1300 calories.

Ok--this is what I was wondering. Maybe that's what's going on. It's just more controlled... ?

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    ellie7187 wrote: »
    I have seen on that extreme weight loss show (where participants are trying to qualify for weight loss surgery - is it “my 600 pound life”?) that the doc will put his patients on a medically supervised diet of about 900 calories a day, and it’s supposed to be just protein and veggies. But those people are generally 500+ pounds, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone actually stick to the 900 calories.

So I guess it’s possible that a medical centre is recommending 900 calories...but whether they “should” or not is totally beyond me.

I watch this show and every episode I have seen he puts them on a 1200 calorie diet - never heard him say 900 calories/day.

I don't remember the amount of calories, but I do know that at some point in all the My 600 Pound Life episodes the patients swore up and down they were following the diet when the scale showed they were not.

I bet some doctors do low ball patients in order to get them to the numbers they actually want. I wouldn't want any doctor of mine to do this, but I'm sure it happens.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have seen on that extreme weight loss show (where participants are trying to qualify for weight loss surgery - is it “my 600 pound life”?) that the doc will put his patients on a medically supervised diet of about 900 calories a day, and it’s supposed to be just protein and veggies. But those people are generally 500+ pounds, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone actually stick to the 900 calories.

So I guess it’s possible that a medical centre is recommending 900 calories...but whether they “should” or not is totally beyond me.

I watch this show and every episode I have seen he puts them on a 1200 calorie diet - never heard him say 900 calories/day.

I don't remember the amount of calories, but I do know that at some point in all the My 600 Pound Life episodes the patients swore up and down they were following the diet when the scale showed they were not.

I bet some doctors do low ball patients in order to get them to the numbers they actually want. I wouldn't want any doctor of mine to do this, but I'm sure it happens.

yep I had one who told me to eat 1200 when my BMR is 1272(ive been keeping data to see what my BMR is). I told her there was no way I could eat so little. I was already working out 2x a day at that time too.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Are they selling the shakes and other food?

I am glad you care about your friend
  • ChubbyMcChubface
    ChubbyMcChubface Posts: 21 Member
    Options

There are quite a few episodes where he puts them on an 800 calorie a day diet, but yes most of them are 1200.
  • hohey
    hohey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK, there was a programme about 800 cal diets, its actually called the Newcastle diet, created for diabetics. The protocol is 4 shakes (optifast) a day, for 8 weeks. Its not something I could do, but I am doing 800 calls a day using real food, which is more doable. Its not designed for long term use.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options

There are quite a few episodes where he puts them on an 800 calorie a day diet, but yes most of them are 1200.

He does that when they aren't losing fast enough to meet whatever deadline he gives them so they can qualify for surgery.

One of my in laws was on HCG shots and put on less than 1000 calories- 2 shakes, 6 oz fish or chicken, salad as desired and steamed veggies. Didn't last long.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My friend needs to lose about 60lbs. She joined a program lead by a leading medical center in our area that offers meal and exercise plan, counseling, etc. They did body scans, and determined that her BMR is 1600 (she has 127lbs of lean muscle). In order to preserve this, they're recommending weight lifting and cardio no more than 2x a week--which makes sense--but only 900 calories. That's insane, right? (and strikes me as incredibly irresponsible). They also talked to her about avoiding "starvation dieting" when she told them about her previous efforts to restrict calories. But uh...900 calories a day is a starvation diet. (I asked like 3 times--really? 900? you're sure?) If someone is very overweight would it make sense to start like this...? Or is this about seeing results fast (the program was spendy)? Maybe they're thinking people will not track well and go over? Am I missing something here?!!

It sounds like a poor plan to me. Why did your friend join this particular program? Does she have a medical need to lose weight quickly?
    If your friend has struggled sticking to a calorie restricted diet in the past going even lower does not sound like it will be terribly sustainable.
    If your friend is questioning and not feeling good about this plan maybe she should not do it, get her money back and just use MFP for free with a more sustainable calorie goal.
  • Biggster69
    Biggster69 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You mean 127 lbs of lean mass, not just muscle.