Looking to gain some muscle definition at home, body weight or home gym device?

Options
Hey guys, I have lost a lot of weight in the last year or so and I would like to gain some muscle definition (since my arms look like branches xD). I don't have money to go to the gym, so I am either opting for body weight exercises or use a multi station home gym device my brother has + some dumbells(picture bellow). Which one would you recommend more and do you have any workout plans I could follow?

Thanks!

p5ambhbkq5ze.jpg

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I would go with a quality BW program over a coat rack.

Convict Conditioning
    YAYOG(You are your own gym)
    Naked Warrior(Pavel)
    Any of several programs by the Kavadlos.
  • Icy_Fox
    Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Convict Conditioning
    Naked Warrior(Pavel)

I need one that won't be too difficult, for example, I can't do the YAYOG. Not that I couldn't keep up, I legit can't do some of the exercises (let me ups) as I guess my muscles are just too weak.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You can always modify BW exercises to do what you are capable of, and then progressively make adjustments and changes to your angles to progressively make them more difficult until eventually going to single arm and single leg stuff and or plyo stuff. But I'm in favor of going for BW instead of a weight machine. Those machines are meant for supplemental work to a traditional strength routine. And you get what you pay for with those things. And push ups are free.
  • Icy_Fox
    Options
    You can always modify BW exercises to do what you are capable of, and then progressively make adjustments and changes to your angles to progressively make them more difficult until eventually going to single arm and single leg stuff and or plyo stuff. But I'm in favor of going for BW instead of a weight machine. Those machines are meant for supplemental work to a traditional strength routine. And you get what you pay for with those things. And push ups are free.

Then how would you, for example, make the let me ups easier?
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    your brother already has the station .... so its not going to cost you anything ? ..... easy ... use both.

I have a heavy barbell, dumbells, kettlebells, .. but yet, still do progressions of dips, pushups and pull/chin ups, l-sits etc

• mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Icy_Fox wrote: »

I had to look that up. I've never heard that term before. Is this is a british thing? I've always called those Body Weight Rows or horizontal rows. The standing version shown above is one way. You can use resistance bands around your back to give you a boost. You can bend your legs at 90 degs. You can cheat up and focus on the negative. All of these until you can get your legs straight and eventually elevated and eventually one arm. If can't do any of those get resistance bands hook em to something and pull. You can also do reverse wall pushes. Stand with your back to the wall in crucifix position and push yourself out off the wall and hold.

• Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Not British well certainly not Scottish, I had never heard of them either B)
  • Icy_Fox
    Options

I had to look that up. I've never heard that term before. Is this is a british thing? I've always called those Body Weight Rows or horizontal rows. The standing version shown above is one way. You can use resistance bands around your back to give you a boost. You can bend your legs at 90 degs. You can cheat up and focus on the negative. All of these until you can get your legs straight and eventually elevated and eventually one arm. If can't do any of those get resistance bands hook em to something and pull. You can also do reverse wall pushes. Stand with your back to the wall in crucifix position and push yourself out off the wall and hold.
    Tic78 wrote: »
    Not British well certainly not Scottish, I had never heard of them either B)

it's the term the author uses for them in YAYOG.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Convict Conditioning
    Naked Warrior(Pavel)

I agree! I gave away my "coat rack" lol and got a weight bench,barbells,free weights and some kettle bells as well as YAYOG dvd and some other workout videos. saw much better results using those compared to the "coat rack" lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Convict Conditioning
    Naked Warrior(Pavel)

I need one that won't be too difficult, for example, I can't do the YAYOG. Not that I couldn't keep up, I legit can't do some of the exercises (let me ups) as I guess my muscles are just too weak.

yayog has dvds too and there are no exercises called let me ups . at least not on the first video and its has 3 dvds, novice,intermediate and advanced. he also tells you to modify the exercises if they are too hard and to work up to it