Really appreciating the opportunity!

Options
I guess I'll give a little info ... I am 6'3", and was up to 230 about 3 years ago. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic at that point, which scared me a lot. (My grandmother was diabetic and I saw all the stuff that happened to her. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.) Diabetes is strong in my family.

I began doing light exercise, with light cardio, cut out most sweets and did *some* mealtime portion control. I managed to get down to 215, and my next A1C test measured normal, but just below the pre-diabetic value.

Then I plateaued. No matter what I did, I couldn't seem to break 212-215. I sort of laxed off for another year. Didn't do as much exercise, and didn't eat as well as I was before. I guess I got a little disheartened at the lack of apparent results. But I never went completely back to the sedentary lifestyle I had before.

A few months ago, I re-upped my game, and began more exercise, and again, removed all sweets, etc. A friend introduced me to Jiu Jitsu a few weeks ago, and I did my trial week last week. Major fun!

My goal is currently to get down to 190, which is at the mid-upper end of my healthy weight range, and puts me inside my healthy BMI.

I joined MFP a week ago, and began entering my exercise and caloric intake, and found that my current diet was actually not far from the mark! Without really trying, I'm typically within about 200 (always below) calories of my daily goal, and my scale says I've lost 2lbs already.

Over the last year or so, my cravings have generally turned toward high protein foods, such as peanut butter and whole nuts, and raw vegetables and fruits, and I have no trouble turning away from most sweets like candy and cake (I actually find them too sweet any more). Just don't take away my ice cream!

Replies