Doctor's note for a standing desk?

Options
I'm transitioning into a new position at work that will have me sitting most of the day. I'm concerned about not being active. I'd like to get a standing workstation, but we have a policy at work where you need a doctor's note. I know my doctor would be willing to write a note for me, but I really don't have any diagnosis besides wanting to be healthy. I don't have back pain or anything. Has anyone had any luck with this?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    For me, the answer was yes. But, if the answer had been no, I would have bought this for myself on my own dime (Amazon perma-link):

http://a.co/4avQW3Y

I love being able to stand when I have all-day desk sessions.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My workplace provides them without a doctor's note.

How about because you want to combat shoulder fatigue, or hip flexor tightness, or some other reason?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My work provides them upon asking (or in the newer spaces they just put them in regardless).

As for a doctor's note, like above, I'm sure you could find some excuse to put on there from lower back pain sitting all day to tight muscles.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I work for a large corporation. Some managers will get them for anyone that asks. Others need doctor note.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your doctor can come up with a reason.

Over the years, my doctors have been very helpful getting me reasonable accommodations for this and that.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Buy your own and bring it in. I bought mine on Amazon for about $250.00 & the Fatigue Mat. You won't need a MD note for that.
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Your doctor shouldn't have to give a reason. Like a sick note, he doesn't say what is wrong with you for privacy reasons. So with this, just that for health reasons you need a sit stand desk, not way. My doctor thinks everyone should have one for health reasons, so was easy to get the note.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I would just say that I want to remain proactive with my health because I sit for 8 hours a day. My doctor would write me a note with that.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm sure I read an article recently that standing (still) was barely any better than sitting (still) as far as activity and weight loss is concerned and as far as health benefits you're really just exchanged one set of risk factors for another.

The benefits come from movement rather than static standing (or sitting). There were however some benefits gained from changing positions back and forth between standing and sitting through the day as opposed to remaining in one or the other position all day long.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I'm sure I read an article recently that standing (still) was barely any better than sitting (still) as far as activity and weight loss is concerned and as far as health benefits you're really just exchanged one set of risk factors for another.

The benefits come from movement rather than static standing (or sitting). There were however some benefits gained from changing positions back and forth between standing and sitting through the day as opposed to remaining in one or the other position all day long.

154930a6-e779-4a4c-945b-9fbfba80e529._SL300__.jpg

I would probably get one of these instead!
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options

I thought about getting something like that, or maybe a ball chair, to strengthen my core, but do I really want to commit on sitting on one of those all day? Has anyone tried one of those?

I would definitely like the option to stand. And I do think I'd get more steps in if I took a couple steps to the printer every time instead of just pushed my chair back a couple feet, maybe that's not enough to make a difference, I don't know. It seems like I'd be more active.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Ooh that does look cool! But expensive, I wish I could try it out.
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    For me, the answer was yes. But, if the answer had been no, I would have bought this for myself on my own dime (Amazon perma-link):

http://a.co/4avQW3Y

I love being able to stand when I have all-day desk sessions.

^^^THIS^^^

As a business owner I get employee requests for all kinds of things all the time. If it is important to you, and not the norm for the office, I would suggest that you talk to the boss, them them your health goals, explain your concerns about being sedentary, and if it would not be too disruptive to the office...offer to contribute towards the cost above the cost of your "normal" desk. That would get my attention and let me know you are serious...and I would probably cover the cost then.

You may also want to look into your health insurance as well. Many, including ours, offers cash back to employees if they use the gym...enough to cover most or all of the cost of the gym membership (depending on the gym).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Just buy your own.

Though, I'm not sure how/why standing is inherently better than sitting.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Just buy your own.

Though, I'm not sure how/why standing is inherently better than sitting.

I work at the register in a store. Luckily I get a chair for my health, but I stand all day if it's busy. My coworkers also stand (and they don't have chairs). Our lower backs and feet hurt by the end of the shift.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could buy something like this standing deak convertor for yourself.
    https://www.amazon.com/Standing-Desk-Converter-Adjustable-Workstation/dp/B077X8T1ZD/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1529415035&sr=8-5&keywords=standing+desks&dpID=51mOg13XY6L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

You could make a concious effort to get up from your chair and walk to the printer, walk more on your breaks, exercise more before or after work.
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I work in a call center and am pretty much tied to my desk with a phone cord. My sit/stand desk has been a lifesaver, and I frequently get an additional 5000+ steps in my day from walking and moving in place. I spend about half my day in my chair and the other half standing and moving.

My office has two options for the sit/stand desk: A medical note will get you a motorized sit/stand which can be pricey, or they offered a Varidesk (liftable desk like other have linked) without a note. I have the Varidesk which works great! The only downside is you have to lift it up manually, but I don't have back problems so it's not really an issue for me.

One recommendation would be a really good anti-fatigue mat! I have a thick, flat mat, but if you have the extra funds I'd go with something like this....the extra ridges/rounds can help stretch your feet if you stand for long periods of time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

I thought about getting something like that, or maybe a ball chair, to strengthen my core, but do I really want to commit on sitting on one of those all day? Has anyone tried one of those?

I would definitely like the option to stand. And I do think I'd get more steps in if I took a couple steps to the printer every time instead of just pushed my chair back a couple feet, maybe that's not enough to make a difference, I don't know. It seems like I'd be more active.

We all had balls for a while. They were fun, but not really comfortable. I would bounce for a few minutes, then go back to my regular chair. Staff meetings were...odd...when everyone was bouncing out of sync.

Then, the novelty wore off, and when balls deflated, they were not reinflated or fixed, and gradually moved out into a grave in the warehouse.