It is amazing what the body can do

Options
jlklem
jlklem Posts: 259 Member
My ride last weekend. National 24 hour challenge. The winner did 493.

rec49amin98i.png

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! Great job!
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Well done. Congratulations!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Bet you enjoyed eating back those calories :)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I've done two 24-hour races in the US. Loved them. Wish they had them here in Australia.
  • Catho36
    Catho36 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow that’s awesome
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Wow, Congrats! 20mph for 20& hours...that is agony. Well done.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Ha.... I really enjoy the name of the Strava workout!

But yeah, pretty amazing stuff. Just 20 hours in the saddle of a 24 hour period would be agony for most of us I think, even just cruising along. Well done sir!

Do you do anything unusual for fueling when doing this? And was the down time one session (as in eat a lot and pass out for a few hours) or was it split up?
  • jlklem
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Ha.... I really enjoy the name of the Strava workout!

But yeah, pretty amazing stuff. Just 20 hours in the saddle of a 24 hour period would be agony for most of us I think, even just cruising along. Well done sir!

Do you do anything unusual for fueling when doing this? And was the down time one session (as in eat a lot and pass out for a few hours) or was it split up?

In my opinion, which may not be worth much, people really overthink nutrition on long endurance rides. I basically drink 300 cal of sugar per hour and ate one rice crispy bar per hour. I knew it was going to be a 13,000 cal day and in general the body can absorb around 300 calories an hour and a little more if you are not going to hard. Since I was with a group for the first 121 miles and then with one person for the next 280 I knew I could ride easy enough to digest 350 per hour. I was very careful to drink and eat each hour. We never stopped for more than 15 minutes so most of my eating was while moving. The course is one 121 mile loop, 24 mile loops till dark and then 7.6 mile loops all night long.

I actually felt ok energy wise...tired as hell but ok. Knee pain stopped me at the end. I was literally riding in agony in both knees for 6 hours. Once I hit 400 I finished the loop and called it a day. My seat was too high I think. Happened last year to...I get knee pain after 300 miles...seriously 300 not 200.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Did you eat the rice krispy bars simply for taste plus a few more calories, or was the purpose to have something else in your stomach beyond the liquid fuel? I find that I want something solid & fairly bland to supplement liquids or gels during a long ride. If not, I tend to develop a queasy stomach after a few hours.
  • jlklem
    Options
    I like the Krispy bars...super easy to eat and brought my calories up. Two bits and gone, easy to carry and unwrap. And I did want a little solid food.