Need Advice - exercise and unwanted weight gain

Options
Hi Folks,

Long time lurker, on and off again MFP user....I have been at my current-ish weight for many years - about 40 pounds heavier then I would like. I've lost and gained the same 10 pounds more times than I can count. 10 days ago I started a serious exercise activity. I say serious because my exercise is usually walking or easy biking. I joined a gym called Fit36 and it is a HIIT circuit gym where there are 12 stations of exercises and you go around the circuit twice, and the circuits change frequently to keep it interesting and to challenge different muscle groups. I knew not to expect weight loss right away - heck, I was happy that I could walk after the first couple of days. However, in the last 3 days I have gained 5 pounds and passed a major milestone in the wrong direction! And its not just swollen muscle weight - my face and hands are puffy, my clothes are tight and I while I have gotten over the soreness, I am very uncomfortable in my skin.

Is this expected when transitioning from not exercising much to a vigorous exercise plan? Do I just need to stay the course and get over this period? By the way, I have gone to the gym 6 times in 10 days, plus took 1 yoga class, so I am getting some rest days in. My diet hasn't changed, and I maintained my weight for many years prior to this change in exercise routine.

Looking for some advice.
Thanks.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    cyclone48 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Long time lurker, on and off again MFP user....I have been at my current-ish weight for many years - about 40 pounds heavier then I would like. I've lost and gained the same 10 pounds more times than I can count. 10 days ago I started a serious exercise activity. I say serious because my exercise is usually walking or easy biking. I joined a gym called Fit36 and it is a HIIT circuit gym where there are 12 stations of exercises and you go around the circuit twice, and the circuits change frequently to keep it interesting and to challenge different muscle groups. I knew not to expect weight loss right away - heck, I was happy that I could walk after the first couple of days. However, in the last 3 days I have gained 5 pounds and passed a major milestone in the wrong direction! And its not just swollen muscle weight - my face and hands are puffy, my clothes are tight and I while I have gotten over the soreness, I am very uncomfortable in my skin.

Is this expected when transitioning from not exercising much to a vigorous exercise plan? Do I just need to stay the course and get over this period? By the way, I have gone to the gym 6 times in 10 days, plus took 1 yoga class, so I am getting some rest days in. My diet hasn't changed, and I maintained my weight for many years prior to this change in exercise routine.

Looking for some advice.
    Thanks.

if your hands and face are puffy something else is going on. while water retention is normal with increased exercise if you are describing what I think you are with the puffiness see a dr. are you on any meds?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    An increase of exercise like you have just done will result in water retention which is what you are noticing. You are holding extra water but have not gained fat. Give it a few days and things will settle down and that 5 pounds will vanish.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    An increase of exercise like you have just done will result in water retention which is what you are noticing. You are holding extra water but have not gained fat. Give it a few days and things will settle down and that 5 pounds will vanish.

he said his hands and face are puffy,this could mean exercise induced allergies,anaphylaxis,and things like that. my face and hands never got puffy from excess exercise and that includes 2x a day for an hr each time(yes I get that my experience),but puffiness if shes uncomfortable is not normal
  • Lillymoo01
    Options

he said his hands and face are puffy,this could mean exercise induced allergies,anaphylaxis,and things like that. my face and hands never got puffy from excess exercise and that includes 2x a day for an hr each time(yes I get that my experience),but puffiness if shes uncomfortable is not normal

My hands do at times. Not my face but everyone is different.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

My hands do at times. Not my face but everyone is different.

I get that but she says shes uncomfortable I would go just to rule anything out but thats me I guess
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    I should also mention that if it were an allergy you would expect a lot more than a bit of puffiness. If it doesn't settle then get an opinion from a doctor but I think new vigorous exercise and hot weather can cause a reasonable amount of puffiness.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,452 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My hands and face feel puffy when I hike all day, especially in high temperatures and don't drink enough. Too little fluid, but possibly also loss of electrolytes seem to be the main problem here. Are you drinking enough? Try eating a banana after your workout as it contains a fair amount of potassium.