Weight going up with 1600 calories a day and 3 times a week working out with weights

Options
2»

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    In the same way that a kilo of lead will fit in a shoe box while a kilo of feathers will fill your duvet.

That's a difference in density and volume, not weight. They both weigh a kilo. Technically lead isn't "heavier" than feathers, it's just more dense. But we all know what someone means when they say muscle weighs more than fat :)

Technically lead isn't heavier than feathers? So nothing in the universe is heavier than anything else?
    Please don't start this nonsense again. I thought it died.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    In the same way that a kilo of lead will fit in a shoe box while a kilo of feathers will fill your duvet.

That's a difference in density and volume, not weight. They both weigh a kilo. Technically lead isn't "heavier" than feathers, it's just more dense. But we all know what someone means when they say muscle weighs more than fat :)

Technically lead isn't heavier than feathers? So nothing in the universe is heavier than anything else?

You can't say something is heavier than something else unless you add the density or volume to it. So no, lead is often not heavier than feathers.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »

A pound of lead weighs the same as a pound of feathers, what about that is so difficult to understand? A pound is a pound is a pound is a pound.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    sktx wrote: »
    All good info. I'm thinking the comments about water retention make a lot of sense. Going to try increasing water intake and reducing sodium and see if that changes things. The food tracker is indicating my sodium intake is higher than it should be.

Thanks for the suggestions.

This response makes me believe that something is worth repeating:

Do not try to solve fluid fluctuation issues. Unless you have a pronounced medical issue (edema - excess abnormal swelling), trying to control fluid fluctuation is pointless with respect to fat loss. Your fluid retention levels have changed up and down every day your whole life whether you've noticed or not. And it will continue to do that. It is independent of whether you are gaining or losing fat. If you want to limit sodium for other reasons, knock yourself out. It has no bearing on fat loss.

It just helps to be aware of it because unfortunately the scale does not differentiate between the components that make up weight. If you lose 2 pounds of fat in two weeks, but gain 4 pound of fluid over the days around your weigh in, you'll be fooled into thinking your not losing fat when you are. (The converse is also true - you may weigh less while gaining fat because of fluid loss). This is why long time periods are important when it comes to scale readings. You could make the wrong adjustments if you focus too much on the short term.