Fitbit adjustments are inconsistent

Options
Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if there is a glitch.

I get right around 10,000 steps every day. My mfp calorie adjustment once my steps are synced usually gives me around 100 extra calories. Today, it gave me 302 calories for the exact same amount of steps.

I went and looked through what my total calories burned on fitbit said. On Sunday I burned 2,335 calories, and mfp gave me an adjustment of 119 calories. Today, fitbit says I burned 2,299 calories, and mfp gave me the adjustment of 302. Obviously that's wrong. It also just turned midnight here, so I know it's not thinking I'm going to burn more later or something.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There were some sync problems with MFP and Fitbit over the weekend. It could be that 302 is correct but on Sunday the sync stopped at 119.

I had an adjustment of 7 calories all day on Sunday. The food diary was syncing with Fitbit though so I just used the Fitbit app to see how many calories I had left.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My adjustment for all of last week was somewhere around 100 calories with the 10,000 steps (with an average of 2300 calories burned each day according to fitbit) every day, so I know that's the correct adjustment.

I also had issues with it not syncing at all earlier. I was wondering if this is another glitch or if I should just quit syncing my fitbit/trusting the numbers.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Did you on any of these days log any exercise activity directly on MFP?
  • swimmchick87
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Did you on any of these days log any exercise activity directly on MFP?

Nope. I'm just starting back with mfp and decided to just do walking for the first two weeks so as not to overwhelm myself.
  • swimmchick87
    Options
    Ugh, it gave me over 300 again today with my calorie burn on fitbit still listed as about 2300. I'm annoyed with this. I'm set to lose 2 pounds per week right now, so that means a thousand calorie deficit every day, so around 1300 calories with the extra steps. Am I just going to have to keep calculating it on my own like that?

I guess I can do that, but if they're synced up I shouldn't have to. The "in 5 weeks, you would weigh ____" prediction feature also won't work this way, because of all the extra exercise calories it's tacking on there it's going to think I'm in a much bigger deficit than I am. I find that feature motivating. Am I really the only one having this issue?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Seems to be the case, assuming your Cals are synchronizing in the first place (cause there were some outages this past weekend)

Grab your Fitbit TDEE for the day from Fitbit.

Subtract your deficit. Eat that.

Keep in mind that 1000 Cal is a very large deficit normally suitable for obese people with a tdee close to 4000 Cal a day.

A deficit of 20% of TDEE (25% while obese), accurately counted, is usually considered at the limits and just shy of entering aggressive deficit territory.

It is certainly too aggressive if TDEE energy stores are not very abundant and tdee is not high.

With a tdee of 2500 I would, personally, be looking at a 500 Cal accurately counted deficit.

You may want to connect your Fitbit.com account to trendweight.com and observe your weight change over time. Those changes, especially over a four to six-week time period, will be exponentially more valuable and relevant than they normally inaccurate MFP prediction.

We neither move nor eat exactly the same everyday, and our body does not react to deficits with the predictability of a well-oiled machine
  • PAV8888
    Options
    If your click on your mfp adjustment it should show you how it was calculated. There may be a little "I" or something you can click on...