Adjusting my MFP Activity Level

Options
When I initially set up my MFP account, I entered my activity level as "not very active", because I "sit" at a desk most of the day. I'm beginning to rethink that decision.

On the norm, I easily beat my daily 10k steps count, and do light body weight exercises (planks 45s x 3, squats 20 x 3, push ups 15 x 3) every couple of days. I have started Jiu Jitsu 2 days a week. I also stand at my desk for 3-4 hours a day.

Does this warrant me changing the setting? If so, what would be the best setting?

It's almost scary to me to change it, as I'm sure it would increase my recommended calories, and I'm happy eating the currently recommended amount (I don't eat a lot of junk food regularly, and I think my meal portions are pretty fair). But I also don't want to "lie" to myself, or unhealthily lose weight too fast.

Replies

• andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The activity level is based on your work activity. The things you do the rest of the day you should be adding separately. So i would keep your activity level as it is and instead input the jiu jiutsu, non work steps and bodyweight exercises into mfp instead.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    That is your decision. Are you adding exercise calories to MFP? Do you have a synced fitbit or similar? Those would account for the increase in your activity. If not, then I would say you are safe to increase your activity level which would increase your calorie goal. If you decide to go that route, I would start with increasing it to lightly active. Give it at least 6 weeks to see how you are progressing and if you are still achieving your goals. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, weight loss will occur. Hope this helps!
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    That is your decision. Are you adding exercise calories to MFP? Do you have a synced fitbit or similar? Those would account for the increase in your activity. If not, then I would say you are safe to increase your activity level which would increase your calorie goal. If you decide to go that route, I would start with increasing it to lightly active. Give it at least 6 weeks to see how you are progressing and if you are still achieving your goals. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, weight loss will occur. Hope this helps!

I have connected Google Fit to MFP to auto-import my steps. Yes, I'm adding my Jiu Jitsu. A lot of my other daily exercises are categorized as weight, so even as I do them, it doesn't help to add them to MFP.

I've only been a MFP member for a little over a week, so I'll give it a few weeks and reconsider, depending on if I'm achieving my goals at an effective rate.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options

I have connected Google Fit to MFP to auto-import my steps. Yes, I'm adding my Jiu Jitsu. A lot of my other daily exercises are categorized as weight, so even as I do them, it doesn't help to add them to MFP.

I've only been a MFP member for a little over a week, so I'll give it a few weeks and reconsider, depending on if I'm achieving my goals at an effective rate.

There is a Strength training category in the cardiovascular exercises. So i usually put it in there both for bodyweight exercises and when i lift at the gym.
  • Lora2380
    Lora2380 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some flex time but make sure your not under eating. Don’t be afraid to eat back your exercise cals! I had my cals set low (1200) and wasn’t eating back my exercise cals or only half as I know there is discrepancies on how much you burn.

At the beginning I felt fantastic and dropped weight fairly quickly but after a few months I ended up feeling exhausted and started getting brittle hair. I readjusted to have more cals daily ( 1 lbs a week loss instead of 1.5) and eat back 3/4 of my exercise cals and I am still losing and feel fantastic again, which was the whole point of me losing weight in the first place!

I’d recommend re-evaluating every month and go from there. This isn’t an exact science and you have to really pay attention to your body and what it’s telling you, if what your doing now feels good, your not feeling deprived, your losing at a consistent rate, then continue on!

Good luck!