Nighttime Help Needed

Options
I need some help... How do you keep yourself from eating at night when you’ve finished your calories for the day? And honestly, it’s not just nights but that’s the toughest time for me. Most of the time it’s not about hunger. Tonight I am actually hungry but am not going to the fridge. Or the cupboard.

I didn’t eat extra last night or the night before... but I wanted too. I thought this would get easier after 50 days but it’s not.

It’s a marathon and not a sprint... So how do I build the stamina I need to keep going? What do you tell yourself to help you through this? This feels like a hard way to live. :/:/

Replies

• alicia163425
    alicia163425 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I’m still trying to figure all this out as well. However, I find that if I save a good amount of my calories for later in the day I don’t want to snack as often. I also try to keep myself distracted and constantly moving until I go to bed.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Save some calories for an evening snack

Look at your macros to see if you're getting enough fat/protein/fibre to keep you full

Look at your calorie deficit to make sure it's appropriate
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't undereat. Is your calorie target too low? What's your height and weight?
    Then eat a balanced and varied diet. MFP's default macro split is a good starting point.
    Then eat food you like.
    Get enough, but not too much, exercise.
    Get enough sleep and rest.
    Manage stress and emotions.

A lifestyle that makes you happy, well nourished and relaxed, is what gives you the "stamina" to go on.
  • resale3108
    resale3108 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Here’s what works for me
    Only have fresh veggies; carrot cut into batons, sliced red/orange/yellow peppers - not green, they’re quite bitter. I love raw tender stem broccoli too. Have it prepared in the fridge and that’s what you have.
    Also, brush your teeth about 7.30pm, this really does help
    Have water with dinner; not big gulps but lots of sips, it will bulk up dinner.

If all this fails find something more “interesting” to do with somebody.

Or do 30 seconds of star jumps

Grazing is more to do with the wee gremlins in your brain than the grumbles in your tum.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Staring down the fridge in the evening when you’re tired is a hard way to live.

Lots of folks set their calories for the most aggressive eating austerity program, make it through the day, but run off the rails in the evening when their time isn’t structured and they’re tired. Then they define the problem as eating at night when the problem is trying to get by on too little.

“Just say no” is a strategy I always tried to avoid.
    I allocate a little under 10% of my calories for after dinner. 1st snack, usually LF ice cream, around 8 pm. And hold back 50 cals for just before bed. Sometimes I don’t eat the 2nd snack. But I found having my calorie account at zero for the day to be anxiety producing. Not conducive to staying out of the fridge and not good pre sleep hygiene.

Also another thing that helps with planned snacking is delay. Why do I schedule a snack for 8pm? Because knowing it’s coming keeps me from snacking at 7pm. Because if I did that, I’d be back at 8 for more. Knowing something is available later is a lot easier than just say no.
  • pznatti
    pznatti Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you! These are such great ideas. I looked at my macros and I’m under eating protein and fat... and I do need to save some calories for an after dinner snack.

I’m not going super aggressive in my calories - so I don’t think that is the issue but I’ll keep an eye on it. I will say yesterday was my lower calorie day. I have been calorie cycling:

Fri 1600
    Sat 1400
    Sun 1900
    Mon 1600
    Tues 1450
    Weds 1800
    Thurs 1600

If the next time I have a low day - have made these changes: better macro balance and leaving room for a night snack - and I still have a tough time, I’ll rethink my strategy.
  • ByFaith4Life4Christ
    ByFaith4Life4Christ Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I try to make room by planning ahead and I try to make sure I get in enough fiber to keep the binging down. Thank goodness I love my veggies!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I prelog 250-300 calories for an evening snack before logging the rest of my day.
  • roderick2464
    roderick2464 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Celery and radishes work for me and almost no cal or carbs even sone cream cheese on celery is like 50 cals per2 tbsp good luck