Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    akasha9772 wrote: »
    Anyone wanna push each other to see how many calories we can burn? A friendly competition. I have a Garmin 235 HR GPS watch, so my count is accurate.

So - when does this start? I burned 2,967 calories on my century ride according to Garmin who got the power data from my Powertap pedals.

On a more serious note, I'm not actually sure I'll easily be able to eat all of those back. So far, roughly estimating I've consumed 2973 calories - my goal, not taking exercise and walking into account, is 1,600 net. My stomach is currently saying "no more" in terms of food (I am typing this with food in front of me.

I did about 4000 yesterday. A trail marathon, about 27 miles with 1000 metres of elevation.

Really struggled to eat more than about 800 calories last night, and my stomach still hasn't settled.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Anyone wanna push each other to see how many calories we can burn? A friendly competition. I have a Garmin 235 HR GPS watch, so my count is accurate.

So - when does this start? I burned 2,967 calories on my century ride according to Garmin who got the power data from my Powertap pedals.

On a more serious note, I'm not actually sure I'll easily be able to eat all of those back. So far, roughly estimating I've consumed 2973 calories - my goal, not taking exercise and walking into account, is 1,600 net. My stomach is currently saying "no more" in terms of food (I am typing this with food in front of me.

That's always an issue for my after my long runs. I can't eat enough food to replace the energy spent. However, I have no problem making up for it for a few days afterward. :D
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    8000+ weekly calorie burn through running and walking.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Train with purpose not just to burn calories. I burn the most calories per hour running but to train for a triathlon I also need to swim & bike both of which burn fewer calories per km than running. Similarly strength training is an integral part of any balanced fitness program but compared to most aerobic exercises burns relatively few calories.

I'm all for people encouraging each other but probably the least important metric when exercising is the calorie burn.

All of this^

OP - perhaps you are a very large person....I am not, so I guess you "win." My point is a large person is going to burn more (doing anything) than a small person will.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

That's always an issue for my after my long runs. I can't eat enough food to replace the energy spent. However, I have no problem making up for it for a few days afterward. :D
    Yeah anything over 45 or 50 miles and I am have a lot of trouble eating back the calories day of. The only exception is if I stop at my favorite Salvadorian food cart on my way back and get a "dago sandwich". It consists of a hogie like roll filled with fried plantain, bistec encebollado, and curtido. One of their customers asked for it so often that they put it on the menu and named it after him. More often than not I'll eat half of it and take the rest with me on the three or so miles it takes to get from there to my car.

That said, I have cake that "needs" to be eaten today and will probably have a hamburger for lunch.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

That's a nice random number generator.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I sometimes train based on a calorie goal. I use a power meter on the bike and when doing endurance work I shoot for 2000 calories burned while biking, I also know coaches who do the same thing. I actually shoot for 11,000 calories burned during my training weeks and other goals such as two hard days, and one long ride, and two easy days....

And I sometimes burn 4000-5000 calories on a ride and can easily get caught up from that deficit in two glorious days of eating. In fact I know I had a great ride when I hit 4000 calories burned. And just as a FYI, I weigh 132 so smaller people can keep up. I can burn 700-800 calories on moderate effort ride of an hour.

We all chase goals. Sometimes it’s average speed, sometimes its average power, or distance...why can’t someone occasionally chase calories burned in a day?

Lots of harshness on this thread. Seems odd to me as energy used is a training metric, an important one actually.

And I am pretty darn fit to be 48 years old...so it can’t be all that bad. Sure people can screw it up...people can screw up and harm themselves with almost everything.

John