Proper nutrition before and after gym to avoid low blood sugar and nausea?

Options
2»

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    It was probably the pre-workout. I workout on an empty stomach all the time and have never had that experience. The only time I've had those symptoms was after running a half marathon and got dizzy/threw up when I had to stop very suddenly at the finish line due to the line for finisher medals.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I'm quite sure that you threw up because you at Lasagna less than 2 hours before working out and then added a pre- as well as post-workout beverage. My body would hate me too if I did that.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I get it fairly regularly. I usually will bolt something sugary or carby, to get the sugar back up, immediately follower by some protein to level it off and keep it level. Additionally, I almist never eat sugar or carbs for my first meal of the day, as it greatly increases my chances of a crash later in the day. Also, if you take vitamins, probably best not to take them on an empty stomach, especially if working out.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Nausea isn't that uncommon after an intense work out, especially when you're getting back into shape. The real problems probably began when you started throwing up. In your post-work out state, that vomiting likely caused you to become volume depleted and messed up your electrolytes.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    samiam1091 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I love the troubleshooting technique. Change a few things up and see what happens. That way we get smarter about our bodies over time.

Regular gummies sound like a good idea; steer clear from Haribo.

Oh please tell me what's wrong with Haribo! I don't typically eat that brand gummies except for 1-2 times a year but my mom loves them. Now I'm curious.

And I woke up this morning with no issues except being sore from the gym. I'll keep monitoring and pay attention to what I'm doing in case something like Monday happens again.

The Haribo sugarfree gummies can cause, um, intestinal "issues." The regular ones are fine. :)

Ah yes, check out their Amazon reviews, they can entertain you for a whole afternoon :D:D:D

OMG!!!! They are hilarious. "Throw me a diaper!!!" is probably the best one
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I love the troubleshooting technique. Change a few things up and see what happens. That way we get smarter about our bodies over time.

Regular gummies sound like a good idea; steer clear from Haribo.

The regular gummies are fine, the sugar free ones are scary. Just go to Amazon and read the reviews. I believe the exact words "volcanic eruption destroying my delicate starfish" are used in a description of the effect of too many of the sugarfree ones.