Frozen fish fillets

Weight before or after cooking?

Replies

• KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    before
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Just be careful if there's ice on them--thaw first.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    What does the package say? Does it specify "As Prepared" at all? Gorton's website for their product states a serving size is two filets, 108g. I'd say just go with 108g of product... that's probably the best you can do, especially given how much the nutritional label can potentially be off and still be legally compliant.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member

There is a ice glaze but they are cook from frozen so no thawing first :/
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    What does the package say? Does it specify "As Prepared" at all? Gorton's website for their product states a serving size is two filets, 108g. I'd say just go with 108g of product... that's probably the best you can do, especially given how much the nutritional label can potentially be off and still be legally compliant.

Packaging doesn't specify just say 100g is X amount of calories
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    angelsja wrote: »

Packaging doesn't specify just say 100g is X amount of calories

I'd weigh frozen then
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    angelsja wrote: »

There is a ice glaze but they are cook from frozen so no thawing first :/

Run them under some cool water. You will want to do that anyway before cooking whether you were going to weigh them or not.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    If raw and frozen, the nutrition info is for raw. Given that 1 ounce of water weighs one ounce and it's unlikely that there is an entire ounce of water glazed onto the filet, just weigh it while frozen. You'll be close enough (unless there's a ton of ice on the filet, in which case you probably need to thaw it a bit anyway).