Tilapia Recipes

Options
Burandt80
Burandt80 Posts: 37 Member
Does anybody have any good tilapia recipes they would like to share?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Ceviche
    Tilapia, cilantro, lime juice, pico de Gallo, dash hot sauce or chopped jalapeño.
    Dice fish and let marinate in above mixture for 20-30 mins and enjoy. Easy peasy
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Ceviche
    Tilapia, cilantro, lime juice, pico de Gallo, dash hot sauce or chopped jalapeño.
    Dice fish and let marinate in above mixture for 20-30 mins and enjoy. Easy peasy

Not only is tilapia IMHO at a very bottom of a type of fish to eat (cheap farmed and garbage eater) but you are suggesting to make a ceviche out of it? Come on.

OP. If you insist on making it simply sprinkle salt and pepper on it, smear mayo on top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400F for few minutes until done.

To each there own...
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is one of the more sustainable and healthy fish to eat. "Bottom feeders" are actually better for you than those fish on the top of the food chain. Swordfish and other predatory fish at the top of the food chain are much higher in mercury.
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I like to just use lemon juice, dried dill, and some paprika. I let it marinate a few hours then cook it in a frying pan on medium for about 2-3 minutes on each side. I just use cooking spray for the pan, but olive oil is even better if you have the calories to spare
  • missangiebee
    missangiebee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just made tilapia tonight for dinner. So, you know those packets of seasoning that you can buy? The ones that say to mix it with oil, water or whatever and use it as a marinade? Well, you can just sprinkle it on your fish because they're just seasonings after all and they come in several different yummy flavors which makes each one a new recipe! I wash the filet, pat it dry, add the seasoning, then pan fry it spraying olive oil in the pan (I hate greasy food so very little oil for me). Then I make a dip/sauce out of Mexican Crema which is only 60 cals for 2 tablespoons. I add cilantro, onion, garlic, jalapeno and lime, all to taste..i put one tablespoon on top of the fish.I also use it as a dip and add it to canned spinach and OMG, it's so yummy! I keep a container in the fridge and use it for tons of foods. Anyway, tonight I had tilapia with zoodles with grape tomatoes, garlic, onion and an alfredo sauce thats 50 calories for 1/4 cup.. I would add a pic but I don't see a way to do it..
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Ceviche

Not only is tilapia IMHO at a very bottom of a type of fish to eat (cheap farmed and garbage eater) but you are suggesting to make a ceviche out of it? Come on.

OP. If you insist on making it simply sprinkle salt and pepper on it, smear mayo on top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400F for few minutes until done.

Had to laugh at this one! I love almost all fish, but tilapia is not one of them. I know it's all the rage these days, but I think it tastes weirdly "off". I would really not want to eat a ceviche made with it.

I watched a documentary about how they're raised in fish farms and they basically just leave them in the tanks to eat all the poo from the other fish. Guess that's what a bottom feeder is? I think it's a cheap fish that is abundant and affordable, but I'd rather have a top feeder with a slight higher bit of mercury. (not sure if that mercury bit is even true as the poster didn't cite a reputable reference)

Slather away with a bunch of mayo and I'm sure it's sort of palatable.

• CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    To be a smart *kitten*, throw in the trash. There are much better fish choices out there.

To your question season and bake, bbq, fry
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    My husband refuses to eat tilapia after reading about how they are farmed. This is my mom's fish recipe that works for any fish. I have made it with all kinds of fish including whole carp, whole salmon trouts and frozen tilapia fillets. Good enough for a dinner party and you can't even tell if you accidentally break the fish fillets.

Chinese contact fried fish.
    Finely chop a thumb of ginger and 4 or 5 green onions. You can do this a few hours in advance if you put the ginger under the green onions in a deep bowl to prevent it from discoloring. When you want to eat, poach the fish in acidulated water until done. Put into a serving dish with a rim and scatter the ginger and green onion on top. Squeeze a few wedges of lemon, and douse with a few glugs of soy sauce and a good glug of sake or dry vermouth. Sprinkle with a large pinch of sugar. Bring the fish to the table. Heat up a quarter cup of vegetable oil in a small saucepan until it starts to smoke. Carefully pour over the herbs to blend the flavours. There will be a lot of dramatic sizzling sounds.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    CowboySar wrote: »
    To be a smart *kitten*, throw in the trash. There are much better fish choices out there.

To your question season and bake, bbq, fry

My only suggestion was the bin too.... And I'm only going by what I think is a comparable fish here (basa)

Would it make an OK fish curry?
  • mram3582
    mram3582 Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    sometimes I just like it with garlic salt and rubbed sage. It is my go to lazy recipe. I do the pico de gallo, lime, and cilantro too. A lot of times I mix that in with rice also.