Starting Jiu Jitsu - Getting Nauseated

Options
Having started Jiu Jitsu a couple weeks ago, I've only been able to go a couple days a week, so pretty new. Regularly about 3/4 way through the session, I'm getting nauseated. I realize this should improve as my cardio improves, but what can I do to help prevent it in the first place? I am well hydrated (I drink water through the day, but not directly before my session, to keep "stomach sloshing" to a minimum), and I typically have a small snack (carrot and/or nuts) not too long before.

Replies

• Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am assuming BJJ? It’s hard. Especially at first. Grappling cardio is just different. I have never vomited. But I have seen others especially beginners do it. Dial back in your rolling speed until your cardio catches up. Also, are you doing a lot of forward rolls etc in warm-ups? I have middle age man inner ear issues and get dizzy and nauseous really easy off of forward rolls. - training BJJ for 6 years.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    I am assuming BJJ? It’s hard. Especially at first. Grappling cardio is just different. I have never vomited. But I have seen others especially beginners do it. Dial back in your rolling speed until your cardio catches up. Also, are you doing a lot of forward rolls etc in warm-ups? I have middle age man inner ear issues and get dizzy and nauseous really easy off of forward rolls. - training BJJ for 6 years.
    I was thinking it could be an inner-ear type of thing, because I seem to feel illest while lying on the mat. I've noticed as I've gotten older that spinning and flipping motions, like on a roller coaster, tend to make me nauseated more. Kind of sucks because I really enjoy a good coaster ride.

But, as you said, I'm going to keep working at it with the expectation that it. will. be. overcome.
  • jimrlong
    jimrlong Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How's it going man? We started our BJJ journey right around the same time. Any progress on this?
  • jacknikon
    jacknikon Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was going to ask what your warmup was like. A lot of gyms do a bunch of front and back rolls as part of warmup- and these always make me feel super dizzy. Do you get nauseous during these kinds of activities? Also, it may just be an adjustment period. BJJ is rough, especially at the beginning.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    BJJ is really different. AS it was said before, grappling cardio is harder, but it is worth the initial pain.
    It is not uncommon to see people vomiting when we're rolling.
    One tip that i have is to cleanup your diet and if you must eat before training, eat a simple carb just to give you the energy boost.
    jacknikon wrote: »
    Yeah I was going to ask what your warmup was like. A lot of gyms do a bunch of front and back rolls as part of warmup- and these always make me feel super dizzy.

That;s another thing. Your back is popping and your core is being strengthened in ways it hasn't worked in a while, so it's quite normal to feel nausea in the beginning.

Pretty soon you'll notice that the pressure in your stomach doesn't leave you winded anymore and that the after training aches are gone and most importantly, you will learn to conserve some energy so that your heart doesn't feel like it's going to come out through your mouth.
    By then, the Nausea is gone.
  • 200x50xmack
    200x50xmack Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yep, it’s a whole different kind of cardio. Another key point is learning how to breathe and relax - as the cliche goes “getting comfortable being uncomfortable.” Keep going - more mat time is really the only way